Rear Wheel Removal

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Today I suffered my first puncture. Typically it was on the rear wheel and pouring down with rain.

I thought I knew how to remove the rear wheel but honestly it was a right b*rstard. I had the chain on both the smallest chain ring and cog but still couldn't get the chain off the cog so the wheel would drop. Is there a knack to this? I'm wondering if I should have turned the bike upside down to stop the bike sliding around. Should I be pushing the derailleur towards the handlebars, or to the back?

The videos on YouTube make it look easy but then they always have the bike on a workstand not holding it between your knees.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Push the derailleur to the back of the bike, and the wheel will just pop out. It can be easier to turn the bike upside down, and also means that you don't have to worry about laying it down while holding the wheel.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Also,check that the tyre can pass through the brake pads.Some calipers nave a release mechanism that increase the gap between the pads allowing the tyre to drop through.Campag have it on the brake lever.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Carl_P wrote:
    T I'm wondering if I should have turned the bike upside down to stop the bike sliding around. Should I be pushing the derailleur towards the handlebars, or to the back?

Yes - turn your bike up side down - I put mine on the small chainring and the 3rd smallest sprocket (doesnt matter aslong as its one of the smaller ones) - whip off the quick release skewer - pull your rear derailuer back a bit (to the back of the bike) and just pull the wheel up and out.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Personally, saddle in left hand, chain on smallest ring, loosen skewer, release brake, lift bike, push wheel until clear of dropout, angle wheel to 45 degree, push wheel a little further, once clear of chainstay place wheel on floor.