Gearing

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Just got a new bike and the gearing on it is 53/39 with a 11-26 cassette (SRAM OG 1090)

Am struggling to turn the pedals on some big hills (peaks) so am thinking of chainging the gearing. Question is what's the simplest thing to change to give me a bit more help iwith climbing (apart from the rider!)?

Thnks

Comments

• barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    Compact chainset I'd of thought, giving you 50/34 up front
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    +1. Compact chainset is the easiest and cheapest option.
  • tmg
    OK thanks, looks like I'll replace it with a 50/34. The BB I have won't need replacing will it?
  • barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    Not if you replace it with like for like on the make and type, e.g. Octalink to octalink, hollotech to hollowtech etc.
    Problems may arise if you try matching Campag with Shimano though
  • tmg
    currently run a S-Works FACT crank, which may pose problems.

Can you buy these, if so where from? If not I think I will stick with SRAM Red as rest of set up is SRAM, which would be a suitable replacement?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If it's BB30 alternative chainsets are available, but they are relatively costly.

You can get FSA Gossamer chainsets in BB30, but you are looking at upwards of £130 for one of those.

You can get SRAM RED in BB30 too I believe.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • tmg
    Yep it's BB30, will try and find a Sram RED one in 175 then

Thanks
  • tmg
    Just an update on this for anyone with a Spesh and needs to change from a Double to a Compact set up.

Spoke to the friendly people at Spesh UK, they informed me that the cheapest and simplest way to do this was to change the crank spider and rings, which conveniently they now do kits for to save having to replace the whole Crank which would cost upwards of £400!! ouch

Parts you need are a 110 BCD Crank Spider and 50/34 rings, which come together in same pack and retail at around £200
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Ouch!

Decent compact rings and bolts can be bought for, say £60 max so you're basically paying £140 for a spider. Not cheap.

If I were you I'd reconsider a whole SRAM Red chainset. I've seen them go for £200 new, and they do very well in the crank tests I've seen. Then flog the Spesh crank if you don't need it.

Here's one for £223

http://www.shinybikes.com/product.php?productid=17783
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • tmg
    Any alternative crank needs to be BB30, cheapest SRAM BB30 is £399 from CRC and not in stock. FSA do them for about £199 but if I were going to change the whole crank then I'd want it to be same as the rest of the kit. So replacement Spider and rings seems best way and if I need to change back to a double I have the kit
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep, sorry. Forgot it's a BB30 version for a second.

Shame the BB30 version is so much more than the 24mm spindle version...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I would be put off by the cost of the operation and consider riding the slightly less steep ones until you get the necessary fitness to ride with a 39x26. Once you've got the miles in your legs that ratio should allow you to climb pretty much anything (OK, maybe not Hardknott... but do need to?)
    left the forum March 2023
  • tmg
    I'll do you a deal Ugo, when I get the bike changed over to 50/34 we can meet up for a ride at my place on the understanding you ride 53/39 :)

I can manage most stuff in the peaks, it is just for the extreme that I want to be able to tackle on longer rides so not restricting my route to skirt around them
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    No, I have a compact with 23 at the back, which is pretty much like a 39x26... it works everywhere, even some 20%ers. if they don't exceed one Km...
    left the forum March 2023