Help! Crank puller stripped thread

roy_batty
roy_batty Posts: 74
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I've just tried to swap a chainset.
The LHS crank came off with no problems, but whilst trying to get my chain-side crank off the crank puller stripped the thread clean out!
What I mean is, when I tightened it up the crank pulller came out and the crank stayed where it was! :shock:
I do vaguely remember the bike-shop-lad mentioning that they'd had some problems with fitting my bottom bracket a few years ago, and I wonder now if this is what he meant, and perhaps the thread on the RHS was already weakened. :?

Any suggestions on how to remove a crank without being able to use a crank puller, short of resorting to brute force with a screwdriver and hammer?

Help! :cry:

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A 2-prong ball-joint splitter between the frame and the spider
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    do you want to keep the cranks?
  • roy_batty
    do you want to keep the cranks?

They 'were' from a perfectly fine Campag Veloce 53/39, albeit from a the older square bracket.
    Bugger...
    The ball-joint splitter sound like it'll muller the bracket and scratch up the crank. Oh well. These things happen I guess.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    When using the splitter try using some cloth such as a cotton rag over the prongs so you don't have metal to metal graunching to minimise damage to the spider or frame BB surface.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    heat up the grank with a blowtorch- aluminiums coefficient of expansion is much higher that the steel of the axle

i did this with an ultegra c/set that was stripped like yours- i only heated it for 2-3 mins anthe crank fell off the axle - the crank was undamaged by the heat treatment

this does not work for carbon cranks! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    I had exactly the same problem a year or so ago and asked the same question on here :)

The solution was simple, go for a ride and wait until the crank drops off ..... took two miles.

Worth a try?
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • roy_batty
    Will stick it on the turbo tonight and give it a go.
    Cheers :wink:
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    roy_batty wrote:
    Will stick it on the turbo tonight and give it a go.
    Cheers :wink:

Before I went out I had hammered it, tried to lever it off and screamed at it :))

I was suprised when it dropped off so quickly.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I've used a three legged gaer puller on the spider. Pulled it off fairly easily. Just takes a little concentration to align it properly.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • roy_batty
    It's off! :D

Now I need to get the old botttom bracket off - it doesn't match any of the Campag tools I bought. :oops:
    campagnolo-veloce-bottom-bracket.jpg
    Can I knock this off with a hammer and screwdriver? Bracket is f*cked anyway.