Do I need to change my cassette

noodles1210
noodles1210 Posts: 13
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I have recently serviced my bike and have put a new chain on my dura ace group set to find I have the same problem as before, the chain jumps when I get up off the saddle and the gear index is not smooth, does this mean I need to change the cassette. I have reset the rear and front mechs properly and the bike shifts smooth when there is no pressure put on pedals. please could someone help.

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Cassette worn out would seem the likely problem.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if it's skipping at the rear then yes

if its skipping at the front then obviously the rings are shot, but this is less likely.

generally it's a bad idea to fit a new chain to worn cassettes/rings. Better to swap them all, or at least the c+s
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    To prevent premature wear to the cassette, fit a new chain as soon as it has lengthened by 1%. You need a chain checker such as one sold by Park Tool to do this properly.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If it is jumping under load and not indexing properly try adjusting the cable to get the index right. It may just be this. A new chain on a worn cassette usually still indexes correctly but may jump on the most used cogs.