how important are looks?

balzer1
balzer1 Posts: 8
edited March 2009 in Workshop
..because I just bought a new bike based mostly on..er..well the way it looked. Sure it rides well, but I could happily keep it in my living room and look at it.

Does this seem reasonable or am I a superficial tart?

P.S. its a madone 5.2, perhaps not to everyone's taste, but beauty is in the eye etc etc

Comments

• jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    i think you have to like the way you're bike looks, dont think any-one has ever bought a bike that they dont like the look of. i mean you'd have to be crazy to do that!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I don't think there are many people who could, hand on heart, say they really don't care about looks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At the price point you were at, there are no bad bikes. It's all about the looks!
  • Mate I've just cut about 5mm off my fork steer tube to remove the only spacer because I think it looks better. But remember bikes are to ridden not used as ornaments! :)
    Giant SCR ever so slightly pimped
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    But when you're not riding them they do make good ornaments. :lol:
  • barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    GavH wrote:
    But when you're not riding them they do make good ornaments. :lol:

Hell yeah! My best bike always makes it upstairs (townhouse) after a ride when the rest live in the garage 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I thought it looked great - so I bought a 5.2 last year.

However - after riding it I found that it was also a fantastic bike to RIDE (plus if it was good enough for Alberto, it's good enough for me!).

This year I bought another one - a 6.9 (again- good enough for Lance - good enough for me).

I love the sloping top tube on the Madones. And sometimes I DO just have the bike sitting in the living room so I can stare at it! :)