Kohl's dealer

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Did he ever say who it was? Just spotted this which mentioned old Benny

Austria is starting to sound like a hotspot for this kind of stuff.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I must have missed that one in my daily trawl through the Hindustan Times... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    I must have missed that one in my daily trawl through the Hindustan Times... :D

We all know you're a Sun reader. Except when you want to be outraged.
  • DaveyL
    That's unfair, it's not my fault I can't spell big long words like Indap, Indiepen, er....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Maybe L'Equipe now has a pseudonym?
    Can you put Dave_1 on their mailing list? :wink:
    DaveyL wrote:
    That's unfair, it's not my fault I can't spell big long words like Indap, Indiepen, er....

Nor fanbuoy.....fanboi......phanboy... :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:

I'm still waiting for my weekly e-mail from the Paceline.com to tell me how it's spelled.... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Oh No, not Kenyan athletes too !! I always thought that at least they would be clean and it was all that running back and forth 10 miles each way to school in bare feet that made them so good !!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I like how he manages 23 athletes and 1 cyclist, yet the headline is about "Kohl's ex-manager" :roll:

Here's a list of his other clients, just to be fair and balanced:

Ivet Lalova (BUL), 100m/200m
    Magdalena Christova (BUL), Long Jump
    Ernest Wiggins (USA), 100m/200m
    Fabian Florant (NED), Triple Jump
    Martin Proell (AUT), 3000m sc
    Christian Neuhäuserer (ITA), 800m/1500m
    Mircea Bogdan (ROM), 3000m sc
    Bostjan Buc (SLO), 3000m sc
    Job Tanui (KEN), 5000m/Road
    Vincent Kipchirchir (KEN), Marathon
    Philemon Kemboi (KEN), Marathon
    Joash Mutai (KEN), Marathon
    Joseph Talam (KEN), Marathon
    John Ngeny (KEN), Marathon
    Micah Kemboi (KEN), Road
    Absel Bungei (KEN), Marathon
    Frederik Kipbitok (KEN), Road
    Daniel Kiplimo (KEN), Road
    Sammy Menjo (KEN), Marathon
    Ibrahim Limo (KEN), Marathon
    Barnabas Kosgei (KEN), Marathon
    Dominic Kemboi (KEN), Marathon
    Hillary Korir (KEN), Marathon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Judging by the dramatic performance improvement in the Austrian biathlon squad this year, Austria appears to be generating quite an expertise in this arena..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:

:? :? :? :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Matschiner's saying he helped advise Kohl on the doping but he did not supply him with anything.

Handy, since aiding someone to cheat is not an offence in Austria but selling unlicenced pharmaceuticals is illegal. Good to know he was so law-abiding :wink:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    afx237vi wrote:
    I like how he manages 23 athletes and 1 cyclist, yet the headline is about "Kohl's ex-manager" :roll:

He was also Rasmussen's manager.....
    http://tiny.cc/hibAn
  • Kléber
    Kohl has just given a press conference and confessed like a sinner in a booth.

He admitted to blood doping, "several times" as well as CERA, HGH, Insulin IGF-1, Testosterone. Unsurprisingly he says Stefan Matschiner helped him in all this and... supplied the products, contrary to Matschiner's earlier statement.

Kohl also said the infamous Humanplasma lab in Vienna helped him with the blood doping.

Rudy Pevenage is quoted today as saying "there were several Fuentes operating in Europe", it's highly likely this Viennese lab was one of the blood doping centres. There are several links to a well know Pro Tour team and I wonder if the investigation into this matter is dead or if it gets reheated once more.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Would that ProTour team happen to be from the Netherlands and wear a strip with a lot of orange in it?
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    Kohl also said the infamous Humanplasma lab in Vienna helped him with the blood doping.

Take that back or I'll have to size you up for a pair of concrete boots. :lol:

So that puts a Vuelta winner in the frame for blood doping, eh?

If Benny is talking then good but I hope he's a good chimney sweep/
  • iainf72
    I wonder if Pat McQuaid has dusted off his "Kohl is just a bitter failure, wait til the passport results come out and you'll see cycling is super clean"
  • Kléber
    edited March 2009
    Yes, Kohl was a chimney sweep before he could earn a living as a bike rider. Nothing wrong with earning an honest living that although it probably means I can say he's perhaps the dirtiest rider ever, at least since Jean Stablinski emerged from a mine to win the Tour de France, without breaking the defamatory guidelines.

I'd love to pen something close to the wind about a certain "menacing" rider but it would not be allowed.

There's clearly something very fishy about the Humanplasma clinic but if no laws have been broken, it'll be hard for things to be investigated. Perhaps political pressure from WADA and other nations will encourage the Austrians to start an enquiry.
  • iainf72
    Kohl has also named other athletes he knows were doping according to reports.

Oooof.
  • Kléber
    It blows away the "I was under pressure, I used CERA, the team was folding, I needed a result, I ordered it on the internet, it was a moment of madness" cover story he fed the media with, this looks like he was on a big programme.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    How long before the dots are joined and its realised that Rabobank knew damn well where the chicken was the whole time, including when he and his orange clad mates went sightseeing in Vienna.

What's dutch for tranquillo?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    Speaking of joining the dots, CFA posted this
  • Kléber
    I think the full confessions are to mitigate a stay in prison. The Austrians made blood doping a crime in the summer and Kohl says he was not just doping for the Tour this year but admits doing it again in September, by which time the law was enacted.

The web of contacts looks a bit small. Should Schumacher be on there? Other riders? What about Rabobank, even Bike Radar points fingers at them?

Remember that CERA has been in existence for some time, that Fuentes was dishing it out before he was busted in 2006. It wasn't some wonderdrug that popped up in 2008.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    I.

The web of contacts looks a bit small. Should Schumacher be on there? Other riders? What about Rabobank, even Bike Radar points fingers at them?

quote]

ARD had to issue a subsequent retraction after the threat of legal action from the Skiing federation
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • And reading cyclingnews today, the little bustard admits to doping from 2005... Despite appearing in Pro Cycling in a big feature about the benefits of his altitude training and, in the same article, blasting dopers.

I know I couldn't keep a straight face playing everyone for an idiot like that... So how does he?

Also, did his team just have their head in the sand?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    What do you expect him to say, "my manager is at the centre of a doping ring and provides me with a regime of performance enhancing drugs"? A full disclosure like that to the press would lead him into trouble I think.
  • Kléber
    That said, many suspicious riders seem to clam up and say empty things like "it's hard to talk about it, I think the sport is getting cleaner. I train hard you know". It's rare to find a doper who actually condemns doping, they try to sidestep it all.
  • I don't know... But I don't recall the likes of Landis, Hamilton, Ullrich etc turning up in bike magazines going "i'm clean! It's such a pity these dopers ruin our sport!" Omerta had something going for it after all.

All I was saying was that, were I in his shoes i'd have been a little less quick to throw stones. Must've made for some interesting moments professionally speaking too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    The lesson learnt is what people say doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If you're prepared to dope it's not much of a stretch to lie publically, is it?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The lesson learnt is what people say doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If you're prepared to dope it's not much of a stretch to lie publically, is it?

Nay, it's essential to lie publically. I've just never seen it taken so far before.

@gietvangent
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never mind that, where can I get something to help me get home into the wind tonight? Oh sorry, I thought this was the commuting forum