where to live in peak district?

welshcat
welshcat Posts: 4
edited April 2009 in MTB general
hi
im moving to the peak district soon as my boyfriend has a job in manchester. we would love to live in a town where we can go mtn biking straight from our door (a luxury we presently have living in south wales). can anyone recommend a town to look at rental properties?
cheers

Comments

• Hi, I moved to Glossop a while ago. Plenty of hills, right on the edge of the Peak District (both Dark and White Peaks) and Manchester is a 35 minute train journey.

Gets the thumbs up from me and is the reason for me taking up mountain biking after a (too long) break.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Bakewell
    Buxton
    Matlock
    Chapel en le Frith

If you want somewhere a bit cosier...

Baslow (although I think all the properties round Baslow are on the Chatsworth estate so it'll probably be dead mans shoes)
    Stoney Middleton
    Calver
    Eyam
    Tideswell

That said these last are all in the National Park (as is Bakewell) so prices will be well up.

My mum's from Glossop, too!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • manc1
    manc1 Posts: 24
    I am lucky enough to have lived in glossop all my life. It is perfect for riding localy and Sheffield and most of the peak district within an hours drive. You can get to Manchester by train or drive within 45 min(if the traffic is playing nice!)
    Will swap family and friends for a 1993 Klien Attitude.
  • manc_ian
    manc_ian Posts: 166
    Hi. I rent a flat with my girlfriend in New Mills which is right on the border of Derbyshire and Greater Manchester. Id say it was a perfect location for riding in the peaks. I do plenty of rides straight from my flat. There is the Sett Valley Trail that leads to Hayfield and then there are plenty of great routes available from Hayfield including Jacobs Ladder, Rushup Edge, Mam Tor, Edale Etc. Its also a short drive to places like Hope and Ladybower if you dont want to ride to them from Hayfield (bit of a trek).

As with your boyfriend working in Manchester, New Mills has 2 train stations (very rare for a small town) that both go direct into Manchester. This is also good for nights out as you dont have to pay for a taxi all the way home.

My girlfriend lived in Glossop so we looked at flats there but the traffic in and around Glossop is a nightmare for getting to work and weekends can be a mare aswell.

She also works in Buxton and id say thats a bit too far from Manchester. You can get the train into Manchester but its a long journey. Great location for riding though.

New Mills isnt to far for days out in North Wales aswell. It will take me around 2 hours to get to CYB, Penmachno, Etc.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions feel free to ask.
  • damn you in the nicer part of the county :lol:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I'd kill for such good riding - being in London sucks the big one!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My neighbour is renting out her house soon ;-)
  • Fidius
    Fidius Posts: 11
    i live in hillsborough 3 miles from sheffield city center and this is just 7 miles from me :lol:

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LadybowerloopII.html

WhinstoneLeeTorII.jpg
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Fidius wrote:
    i live in hillsborough 3 miles from sheffield city center and this is just 7 miles from me :lol:

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LadybowerloopII.html

WhinstoneLeeTorII.jpg
    I hate you! :wink:
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Macclesfield is also worth a look!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I live just North of Manc in Burnley, and this is 5 minutes from my back door...

Hindle_01.jpg

...as is this...

Hurstwood_01.jpg

Anyone jealous? :D:lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    /\/\/\ I hate you even more :evil: First pic looks fun :wink:
  • I used to live in Buxton which is a nice town. Besides biking, there are lots of other things happening and cool things going on at the Opera House. It is a bit far from Manchester though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I live about a mile from Wharncliffe ;-)

wharn1.jpg