Campag with Shimano? Am I imagining it?

flanners1
flanners1 Posts: 916
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I have a set of Dura Ace wheels with Shimano Ultegra cassette, recently purhcased a Bianchi which has Campag 10spd. I just put the Dura Ace's on the Bianchi and the Campag shifter shifts the chain without probs, have not ridden it just static. Is this correct? Could I use the wheels on the Bianchi?
Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
Bizango 29er

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Usually(key word USUALLY) these kinds of combinations work, although maybe not perfectly. There is a company that makes Campy to Shimano and Shimano to Campy cassettes. Name eludes me. Or you can buy the splined portion of the hub made to fit Campy cassettes that fit Shimano hubs and the other way around. Once again the name eludes me. Does that make any sense???

Dennis Noward
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Campag cassette is wider than the Shimano so you may have problems when you want it to work for real.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Several people on this forum have claimed to getting Campag 10 speed shifters and mech working perfectly with a Shimano wheel. My LBS have also said the same.

Ambrosio actually make Campag spaced cassettes that fit a Shimano freehub, available from Surosa cycles.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    From memory the campag cassette is a couple of mill wider than the shimano so as long as you make gear number 5 perfect it will only be 1 mm out at either end of the casstte and should work OK.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Thns for the help and advice may go for a trundle over the weekend and test it out!! The Campag Khamsin wheels on the Bianchi are like lead and the Dura Ace ones make the bike zip!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Marchiso cassetes - convert one t other if I recall - not cheap though 1
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    You are right - the Marchiso aren't cheap - the Ambrosio ones Smokin Joe mentions that convert shimano freehub to campag fit are pretty cheap though - I've been using one on my winter bike - my test of one suggests it works OK if slightly more clunky than using all campag.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mapei
    mapei Posts: 17
    Shimano's spacing on their 9 speed is within a fraction of a millimetre of Campagnolo 10, so that's the easiest. Works fine.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    mapei wrote:
    Shimano's spacing on their 9 speed is within a fraction of a millimetre of Campagnolo 10, so that's the easiest. Works fine.

Using which shifters etc.

I have run 10 speed campag shifters with a shimano mech and 9 sped block, the only thing was that I had to turn the washer on the mech 90 degrees before clamping the cable.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • mapei
    mapei Posts: 17
    Use C10 shifters and mech (a complete C10 bike) and drop in an Shimano 9 wheel. Works absolutely perfectly, but only 9 of the 10 clicks work, and that's it.

No change to the derailleurs or cable clamp - the rear mech's "mm of movement" per click is the same fro C10 as S9.

You only run into trouble if mixing S10 and C10 or C9 and S9.

C10 and S9 are identical spacing. The last click just doesn't get used, as the cable's already fully tight.