Afan vs Glyncorrwg

turnercraig
turnercraig Posts: 537
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Me and a bunch of mates are heading down to South Wales next month.

We are going to do a track at Afan or Glyncorrwg on the Saturday and then head over to Cwm Carn to try the DH track on the Sunday with a hangover.

Just need to figure out which track to do on Saturday, none of us have been there before. Some of the guys in the group would really struggle with th Skyline I think, because it's 46km. So it's down to Whites Level, Penhydd trail and The Wall. We would prefer something with great descents, fast and technical with jumps if possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    There's pretty much the same place, just a few miles apart down the road.

From what you said, White's level would be your best bet. It's at Glyncorrwg. Just remember to stop in the drop-off cafe afterwards for a refill, it's lovely.
  • turnercraig
    P-Jay wrote:
    There's pretty much the same place, just a few miles apart down the road.

From what you said, White's level would be your best bet. It's at Glyncorrwg. Just remember to stop in the drop-off cafe afterwards for a refill, it's lovely.

Ye thanks, I realise they are next to each other, I'm just wondering which trail to do.

I was thinking of The Wall aswell, sounds good fun.
  • turnercraig
    i mean Whites Level :oops:

getting mixed up now.
  • Both The wall and Penhydd Trails are great but I would stick to Glyncorrwg if you are only going for 1 day. Either do Whites level which is has fast descents or do the Skyline and use the shortcut 1 which makes the skyline much shorter. Then you get to do the 6km Skyline decent without out the miles of forest road. There is also a shortcut to the Sykline decent if you cycle through the village and nip (6km) up the forest road.

I would do White’s in the morning grab some lunch in the dropoff then session the skyline decent until you are ready for beers.
    Great day now all you need if the sun and dry trails.
    Cwm Carn Downhill is awesome but good for beginners as well.
    Ride on!
  • turnercraig
    Both The wall and Penhydd Trails are great but I would stick to Glyncorrwg if you are only going for 1 day. Either do Whites level which is has fast descents or do the Skyline and use the shortcut 1 which makes the skyline much shorter. Then you get to do the 6km Skyline decent without out the miles of forest road. There is also a shortcut to the Sykline decent if you cycle through the village and nip (6km) up the forest road.

I would do White’s in the morning grab some lunch in the dropoff then session the skyline decent until you are ready for beers.
    Great day now all you need if the sun and dry trails.
    Cwm Carn Downhill is awesome but good for beginners as well.
    Ride on!

thanks, if you take the shortcut 1, how long would that make the Skyline? Is the final descent a must do at Afan/Glyncorrwg? I wouldn't want to go there and miss out.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited March 2009
    Whites Level has some superb downhill sections and the main starting climb is not too tough either.

My advice would be to make sure you definitely take in the black run at the top of the main climb. After the downhill, make sure you take the fireroad back up to the top (almost to where you started the black) rather than cutting over and heading towards the Energy Trail. If you go straight to Energy you miss the best part of the whole Whites level imo - a superb singletrack decent.

The black run is superb and if I went again I think I'd do a loop round that twice before continuing on to the rest of Whites.

http://www.mbwales.com/media/viewfile.a ... filetype=4
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah White's is kinda the "showcase" trail for Afan Forrest. Just a word of warning, it's listed in the official guide as something like 15kms, it might have been when it first opened but it's been added and added to over the years and it's about double that now if you do the optional black bit and go back up to windy point.

There's not a bad trail down there tbh. I've never done a full Skyline, I'm told there's a lot of featureless fireroad involved to cover the distances, but all the others are great.

Cwmcarn is bloody stunning at the moment, the last two sections are some of the best anywhere IMHO, as it Brecfa.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Id do either a short Skyline (turn right down the hill at signpost 18, just past the Granada in the forest on the left) and get the 7k descent in, or go to Afan and do the Wall - it's brilliant. Saying that, there's not a bad trail there.

Cwmcarn is on top form at the moment, they have done lots of work to the final section. You might want to book an uplift from Cwmdown if you plan on having a DH session http://www.cwmdown.co.uk as the buses get very busy.
  • turnercraig
    Thanks guys, i can see from the map where you cut back to Windy point.

I think 15 to 30k should be about right (if not a bit long) so sounds like a good option at the moment, sounds like it is more the sort of trail we will enjoy.

ye i did brechfa last year, was great.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Not got it to hand but I seem to recall my GPS saying it was around 25km around. I'll have a look tonight. It is definitely not 15km however.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • turnercraig
    Daz555 wrote:
    Not got it to hand but I seem to recall my GPS saying it was around 25km around. I'll have a look tonight. It is definitely not 15km however.

That would be great if you can, 25km sounds about right for the group.