New SPD pedals and Shimano shoes

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Just go my first pair of clipless shoes and pedals - Shimano M076 shoes and Shimano M520 pedals. I was trying them out today and when walking i could hear the cleats grinding on the ground, i thought the point of them being slightly recessed was to avoid this.................is this a normal thing that happens ? I know they are not meant for prolonged walking but obviously any small amount of walking i do in them is going to wear the cleats. Is there anything i can do or have i done something wrong when i put the cleats on the shoes ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is normal. they do touch the ground.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • teulk
    Also i could feel a slight upward movment in one of the pedals and i initially thought i hadnt tightend the cleat up but it was ok, ive got the tension set really low so would that account for the movement i could feel ?

Ive been reading that incorrectly set cleats could cause problems with my knees, now i do suffer from slight knee pain (using flats) so just how critical is it that i get the cleats exactly right, just how forgiving are the M520 pedals ?
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • You can adjust the position of the cleat in the shoe to set your foot angle to suit, might need a couple of tries till you get it right.

Might be worth having a ride on flats and looking at where your feet are positioned and use this as a starting point for setting your spuds.

Clickety clack when walking is normal, but the wear won't be significant on the cleat.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • teulk
    Thanks for the advice so far, obviously the positioning is a personal thing and i just have to find that positon. As ive said i have M520 pedals and these have very little surface area so to speak, would i be better off with beaing new to them having a pedal with a cage on them ?

I beleive that the cleats are single release (black ones) but i can actually release by twisting either way and not just outwards. Does this mean i actually have multi release cleats or is just becase i have the tension set really low ?
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • The noise when walking is normal, I have single release and can only turn outwards to release, i did notice that you really need to make sure the cleats are really tight or you will get movement, I have mine on a light tension setting and get no movement. I think you normally get single release as standard with shoes but not sure

Make sure you here a really positive click when you clip in, it does take a while for them to fit in and out smoothly, a bit of wd40 might help.

Positioning is personal, but if it helps I have my cleats positioned right at the front of the holes, just found that it put the ball of my foot on the pedal.

Stick with them, they really are worth it

hope this helps,
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
    Sports don't build character, they reveal them!!