Do you ride with a helmet?

MysticalSnail
MysticalSnail Posts: 34
edited March 2009 in MTB general
I always see people on bikes without helmets, just wondeing on here how many of you ride without a helmet?

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    I always ride with a helmet after it saved me from a tree, it jumped out at me.... honest.... :oops:
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Errr yes!

IMO your asking for trouble if you don`t.
  • yes... never thought twice.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yep, smashed one which saved me from a lot of damage, Fell off and caught one on a rock a couple of weeks ago- Probably saved be from a nasty cut more than owt but did what it was supposed to do- protect me noggin. :)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    yip. most of the arguments about whether helmets help in a crash seem to be about accidents on the road. There seems to be less disagreement about riding trails....the majority of people say wear a helmet on trails.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • crabstix
    crabstix Posts: 61
    A guy died herabouts a few years ago while riding without a helmet... he hit a sheep! A stupid befuddled woolback jumped out and caused him to crash, and dash his skull against a stone wall.

Wear a lid at all times.

You only live for a short lifespan... but are dead forever.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    The way I think about it is I wouldnt send my kids out without one on, so I wouldnt go out without one on.

It amazes me the amount of people, adults and children riding around without a helmet on. such a simple and cheap thing can save your life. simple.

I think they should be made law....or if you should happen to be in an accident and your not wearing one then the fault lies at your door, not say, the driver who knocked you off your bike :-)
  • Quite simply - I'd be dead if I didn't have a full face helmet on when I picked an argument with a tree.

Wear it, at all times.

Especially when on a bike!! :lol:
  • The way I think about it is I wouldnt send my kids out without one on, so I wouldnt go out without one on.

my pet hate is seeing parents with no helmet, but riding with their children that have helmets on....
  • gthang
    gthang Posts: 293
    Always when going out for a proper ride, if nipping 100m to the shop then no,
  • Mr Wu
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    The way I think about it is I wouldnt send my kids out without one on, so I wouldnt go out without one on.

my pet hate is seeing parents with no helmet, but riding with their children that have helmets on....

Completely agree with that. I think its a shame that there is still a little stigma in wearing a bike helmet. I found out the hard way that a helmet is the way to go, and a full face one at that. I really genuinely couldnt care less if i look an idot, if my head is safe, im happy.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Sometimes don't wear one when I ride down the local canal path, but for road and trails, helmet all the way. Especially after some utter **** in a van tried his best to knock me off the other day.
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    Yeah , without fail . I had a pretty bad Crash in oct'07 ... Whiplash , Broken Nose , fractured Wrist & a very sore Head . The Helmet undoubtedly did it's Job , the ironic thing is the only lasting Damage is a couple of Scars above my Eye ... caused by the Helmet :roll:
    The Visor broke off & pierced my Eye Socket . But getting back to the original thread , i wouldn't go anywhere without 1 .
  • docker0141
    docker0141 Posts: 605
    i always wear a helmet, either a full facer or a p!ss pot the gives very little protection to be honest :oops:
  • On my way to ride i usualy see about 10-15 riders, alot on the road and only about 3 out of the 10-15 have helmets, its just absolutly insane!! It is exactly like driving without a seatbelt.

When i was younger i never used to wear one but always put my lid on now.

Remember to replace your helmet every 3 years too!!! The polyester in your helmet decays over time making it weaker
  • Mr Wu

Remember to replace your helmet every 3 years too!!! The polyester in your helmet decays over time making it weaker

That depends alot on storage, useage, make etc. I had the same thing at work with hard hats, everyones got a bee in the bonet about replacing them every 2 years. Its rubbish, you really dont have to, whilst i agree they can weaken, if used correctly and stored correctly out of sunlight then they will be fine.
  • G3zz
    G3zz Posts: 38
    Always, it's saved me several times now :)
    Some people are too ignorant to realise that they are not superhuman and they will crash,
    and when they do crash without a helmet, they will pay...
  • Just look what a simple little fall did to that Natasha Richardson. Everyone agrees that the bump was very slight, but it still killed her.

I rode once with a guy who said that he never used a helmet since his wife died; didn't matter to him if he went as well. Fine, but what about the people who had to pick up his pieces. Never rode with him again, and won't ride with anyone who hasn't got a lid on.
    Frank Yates
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Always wear one.

Saved my life once and a nasty injury twice.

I see people trying to look cool by not wearing one and never fail to think "pillock"
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    on that natasha richardson thing i was amazed, i have skied at tremblant (where she had the fall) and i didn't where a helmet! but on the helmet thing i woke up in hospital when i was 12 and have always worn a helmet on the bike ever since, even around town, i must look a total noob!
  • If you ride without one then you are a total helmet!
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    i always wear a helmet even though ive never scratched one in an off, there is always a first time, plus unless your bald mounting a headtorch with gaffa tape is painful! :lol:
    who cares?
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    gthang wrote:
    Always when going out for a proper ride, if nipping 100m to the shop then no,

Do you know what - i used to be the same - but see since nearly being collected by low loader transits, grannies in VW Polo's, and the blind father of 7 in his Kia Sedona I changed my mind and decided to wear it all the time!!

I figured I would be more likely to be injured actually ON the roads than off the roads!! Given that I also Commute as well as MTB at weekends!!

Makes sense - Motorcyclists wear helmets - so should Cyclists... somebody else has said it should be law!!!!
    It's been a while...
  • Justinjured
    Justinjured Posts: 142
    I really hope helmets for skiing snowboarding and cycling really become an essential item now after Natasha Richarsons tragedy. It just goes to show how fragile we are.

When I was in the French alps a couple of years ago I saw an unconcious boarder laid flat having medical attention. Even though I am a confident snowboarder, my first purchase for my next trip was a helmet. I think helmets havent really taken off on the slopes at present, but lets hope they do.

Needless to say I always wear a helmet when cycling!
  • I think they should make it compulsary and the law for anyone on the road, excactly the same fine as not wearing a seat belt on your car. If you get caught on the road without a helmet £100 fine.

Whatcha think?
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    +1
  • docker0141
    docker0141 Posts: 605
    I think they should make it compulsary and the law for anyone on the road, excactly the same fine as not wearing a seat belt on your car. If you get caught on the road without a helmet £100 fine.

Whatcha think?
    +1

but after all if they don't wear a helmet then it's there fault when they crash
  • I think they should make it compulsary and the law for anyone on the road, excactly the same fine as not wearing a seat belt on your car. If you get caught on the road without a helmet £100 fine.

Whatcha think?

I think that's f*cking ridiculous.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Helmet every time. The one time you dont bother is bound to be the time the little old lady (or man) pull out in front of you and you end up brain damaged but still aware of what a idiot you were no not wear a helmet. By the way, the little old lady bit probably only refers to the roads and not the trails :lol:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Lets face it your riding a stupidly expensive bike and wearing stupid looking cycling gear wearing a helmet isnt going to make you look any more stupid and there is a chance it could save your life or at least make the scars smaller.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap