Some people have some nice bikes out there.................

Enwezor
Enwezor Posts: 124
edited March 2009 in MTB general
I did a race on Saturday called Monsterman 4.
It's an off-road duathlon - 4 miles cross country running / 12 miles mountain biking / 4 miles cross country running.
It was a tough race!

Anyway, I noticed that some chap had a Scott Spark and as I am interested in the bike, I went over to chat to him. He told me he had just pre-ridden the course to see if it suited his Scott Spark Limited Edition or his Scott Scale 10!
I think that's around £10k in bike money!

Fair play to the man, he came 2nd in the race, almost an hour ahead of me - some serious fitness and serious bike kit!

Comments

• how long did you take to do the 4 miler then? or what speed do you tend to do a mile in useally?

i can do 1.5 miles in 8:50 and 3 miles hilly in 21:40 trying to get it lower though, recently did my shins in so having to ride instead of running.

by the way where was the race?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Enwezor
    I can answer this question but my race times won't give you much of a guide because of the terrain.
    My first 4 miles took about 35 minutes, the bike was 1.5 hours and the final run was a grueling 50 minutes!
    Doesn't sound great but each of those 4 miles consisted of 6 laps running up and down hills, 2 of which you had to scramble up practically on your hands, so all in all, you had to do 12 laps of the course.
    To give you a comparison, I run on the flat at 6 and a half minute mile pace - did 10 miles on the Great South Run in 66 minutes.

The race took place in Deepcut on MOD land. I hope they race again there sometime as the course was brilliant for both bike and run. Unfortunately, next seasons racing is in the balance so I wonder if we will get to race that course again.

1.5 miles in 8:50 sounds fast - is that on the flat?
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    how long did you take to do the 4 miler then? or what speed do you tend to do a mile in useally?

i can do 1.5 miles in 8:50 and 3 miles hilly in 21:40 trying to get it lower though, recently did my shins in so having to ride instead of running.

Timing yourself over 1.5 miles seems a bit of a odd distance, unless you are training for something :D

Being a ex triathlete, I can tell you It's a hole different experience running after you get of a bike.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Enwezor
    Sarnian wrote:
    how long did you take to do the 4 miler then? or what speed do you tend to do a mile in useally?

Timing yourself over 1.5 miles seems a bit of a odd distance, unless you are training for something :D

Being a ex triathlete, I can tell you It's a hole different experience running after you get of a bike.

Hell yes!
    At the top of the last brutal climb on the final run, just stepping over and pushing off a tree log, my quad muscle on my right leg cramped completely and I just plain keeled over. This happened once on the bike too. This happened despite training for transitioning from run to bike to run and drinking the right fluids. Should have trained harder on mega hills is the answer - hope for better performance next time :-)
  • 1.5 mile is a standard distance army test..bft, then there is the grueling cft...
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Sarnian
    Thats what I was getting at :wink:
  • The Spark is a very nice bike. If you don't feel like dropping 5 grand on a Ltd though, there are some 2008 30's and 2008 10 framesets still available for around the 1,400 mark.
  • Enwezor
    I have a 2009 Spark 20 :D sitting in my local bike shop with my name on it but I can't get it until my wretched Cyclescheme vouchers come in!!
    I am desperate to ride it!!!
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    CFT...gruelling?!?!
    Errr no, only fat biffers find CFTs even remotely difficult.
  • Dobbs wrote:
    CFT...gruelling?!?!

actually i training for marines not army. there a differance :)

yes 1.5 is a strange distance but you got to do it for the test/pre test, and need 10 mins or less to pass, then you do a proper 3 miler at the test days along with some other fun stuff....
  • depends how ruff you... 8). marines is only 10 mins, thought it would be lower,other biffers get 11 1/2 mins
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • ^^that just the PJFT, the pre test for the test. which is PRMC.

thats a 3 day time at exerter CTCRM, 3 miler run nice and early, followed by bleed test, 60press,80sits,6pulls, (these are mim you need to pass by the way,)

then lovely bottom field assualt course day 2, lots of lovely mud, cuts and plenty of puke, about 2H:45mins of PT and fun, folllowed by a nice cold shower from a fire horse.:)

then day 3 to finish is more PT in gym like med balls and such beastings.

if you pass its off to start 32 weeks of training.

incl commando tests, ..lovely.

so it isnt as "easy" or"only"..
  • Sarnian
    Dobbs wrote:
    CFT...gruelling?!?!

Could not have put It better myself :D
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    Good luck, if your running a 8.50 BFT, your going to need it.
    I ran an 8.00 at Lympestone in lightweights and boots.
    I already have my green lid and I know you have got some beauties in front of you. IF you pass PRMC.....
    Might have been harder in my day, though. No chicks passed my course :D