Motorists excuses when they are at fault

2»

Comments

• Animal100
    Animal100 Posts: 55
    I also ride motorbikes. My best experience when I happened across a driver on the motorway in the middle lane, I was overtaking at the time. Nice warm sunny day he had his window open. My bike a V-twin sports bike with some nice noisy exhausts. Spotted he was on the phone as I went passed, I reduced speed so he can now here my bike and not the person he was on the phone to, especially when I dropped a gear to increase the revs and obvious volume. It was nice to see him end the call and put the phone down. He could have just wound the window up!
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    thought you were going to say you reached in and hung up the call for him, then roared off into the sunset. That would have been cool.
  • Animal100
    Animal100 Posts: 55
    I must admit it did cross my mind - I saw the sense not to though. The noise had the desired effect!
  • It's the ones who blithely wave, or apologise like they've bumped trollies in the supermarket instead of almost ending your life.

I'm a very level headed kind of guy who tries to affect a happy, carefree demeanour when dealing with his fellow man. But I could happily beat a motorists senseless with my bike pump when they act so irresponsibly.

In a car motorists don't have to confront their own vulnerability owing to the fact they're surrounded by steel and airbags (airbags? Maybe if it was a chainsaw coming out of the steering wheel they might be more careful!!).
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    It's the ones who blithely wave, or apologise like they've bumped trollies in the supermarket instead of almost ending your life.

I'm a very level headed kind of guy who tries to affect a happy, carefree demeanour when dealing with his fellow man. But I could happily beat a motorists senseless with my bike pump when they act so irresponsibly.

In a car motorists don't have to confront their own vulnerability owing to the fact they're surrounded by steel and airbags (airbags? Maybe if it was a chainsaw coming out of the steering wheel they might be more careful!!).

New Scientist mag suggested a while ago that a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel might do the trick...on the flipside a lot of fatal car crashes end up with those who are not at fault dead as a result of those who are (consider where one vehicle vears into the path of another) so this would be the rather un-Darwinian solution of culling those who aren't stupid, just unlucky.

More appropriate would be motorists being automatically accountable for the consequences of their behaviour, rather than the other way around as it so clearly is at present.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The most dangerous component in a car?

The nut behind the steering wheel

I can't remember who said that...
  • Tis a good quote. I should get it on a tee shirt.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    jimmypippa wrote:
    The most dangerous component in a car?

The nut behind the steering wheel

I can't remember who said that...

Well Jimmy Carr, ironic name, once said it on 8/10 Cats.. but Angus Deaton said it before to another comedian on Would I Lie to You last year (on a story where a comedian owned a car that would only turn left)

The joke goes way back to the Marx Bros I think.