2009 Rockshoxs - Is there a common oil leak problem..?

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited March 2009 in MTB general
I have just had to send away my 2009 Revelations for a warranty repair. For the past two months, they have constantly been leaking a small amount of oil on the stanchions, which I and also the retailer suspect to be a faulty seal. They lost their plushness and nearly dried out!

I have recently chatted to 3 other guys with new 2009 RS forks who say they have the same problem!! One of them, a shop mechanic, reckons this could be a mysterious 'common manufacturing problem'...?

Have many other people out there with 2009 RS forks had simular problems with oil and seals?

KK.
(with bike off the road, it's time to go jogging to the pub!)

Comments

• beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Just bought a pair of Tora 318 solo airs from Merlin. Noticed a leak from the base of the forks (opposite side to the rebound adjuster). Thought it was a bit of excess hydro fluid as I had been bleeding the brakes but it wasn't red (Shimano mineral oil). Noticed the allen key bolt at the bottom was loose by a good couple of turns. No more leaks so far but will keep an eye on it as I'm not 100% certain what was the issue and the oil could have been coming from somewhere else.. :?
  • KonaKurt
    Hmmm. Sounds like that might be a serious problem if they leaked from the bottom. I'd keep an eye on them and don't hesitate to demand a warranty repair from Merlin if you see anything else leak.

My problem was leaking from the top seals - anyone else have this 'common manufacturing' problem?

KK.
  • Grimy
    Grimy Posts: 111
    I have a set of 2009 Rebas, Got them at christmas on my new Merlin Malt. The stantions do have oil on them, there nice and wet, but not dripping or running down the fork leg. To be honest, any less oil and i'd be concerned there not being lubricated enough to ensure a sticktion free operation of the fork.

I stripped them down a week or two ago to change the travel length to 120mm, and noted there was still ample oil in both ends of each leg to keep them nicely lubricated so it wasnt like they've been loosing oil. I soaked both the felt rings in 15 weight oil before rebuilding as well as the usual 10cc of oil in each leg for lubrication of the seals. After rebuilding the stantions are still nice and wet, but this is only going to preserve the upper seals.

Perhaps its just a little more oil than your used to seeing? Is it really a problem? I'm sure the 2009 maintenance manual recomends stripping, cleaning and re-oiling the fork every 50 hours ridding or so. Is the oil on the stations enough to allow the fork to run dry after such time?
  • KonaKurt
    You may have a point Grimy, in that generally speaking lube oil should be topped up anyway with each 50 hours or so riding. My old Tora's never had any issue with lube oil and ran flawlessly for 3 years... on the one hand maybe I personally am not used to such well oiled forks! But on the other I (and 3 others!) have been told by our retailers a problem sounds likely and to return them for a check up.

Me confused dot com!!!

KK

PS: by the way, how do you top up the lube oil for RS forks? Is it difficult?
  • Grimy
    Grimy Posts: 111
    KK, i'd be intrested to know what rock shox have to say so please keep us informed. I personally didnt see it as an issue, but it must be out of the norm for the shop to recomend sending them back? Ill watch this thread and see what the manufacturers have to say.

Its very easy to remove the lower fork legs, which is all you need to do for a clean and oil. You dont need to strip the damper down so often. Best to read the manual, rather than me explain it. but its bassically just a case of bleeding the air off, undoing the lower leg bolts or nut, and pulling the lower forks off.

Sram rock shox workshop manual for 2009 forks : -

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/TM_MY09_E.pdf
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some have developed leaks, but a lot come with residual oil around the adjusters and a lot in the seals when new which will weap out.
  • KonaKurt
    New forks should weep out sure. But with regular use, that should settle down after a week or two, shouldn't it? Not 10 weeks!??

KK.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have they been upside down?
  • KonaKurt
    No, mine are never put upside down, sometimes wheelie'd up in the air for a few seconds now and again, but that is all.