Am I asking too much...

adb1006
adb1006 Posts: 938
edited March 2009 in MTB general
To expect a set of £60 plus shifters (SRAM X9) to come in a box, with some cable outers??? They're from Merlin, so not some dodgy little outfit. I'd expect them to turn up wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in a bag if i ordered them from Ebay, but surely from a shop they should come at least boxed? Am i now expected to pay an extra £££ for the cable outers on top of the cost of the shifters??? I thought they were always included.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I asked the UK importers about this a long time ago and their response was that unboxed items are typical grey imports. Similarly I've never had anything Shimano from CRC that was in a box.

Boxes cost money :wink:
  • adb1006
    My mate ordered a set of XT shifters from Merlins and they turned up boxed, and with about 3 or 4 cable outers in there. As such, when i ordered the X9's, i was expecting the same!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I ordered a SRAM X0 rear mech from Merlin, no box, in a jiffy bag, however, it was at a great (almost unbeatable) price so I can live with it.

CRC/Merlin etc sell OEM parts (hence no packaging) at a normally huge discount. I'd rather pay £40 less and not get a box...

Not sure about the cables though, did it state it in the description? If not ring them up and they will pop some in the post for you, they are decent guys. :D
  • Cheesey wrote:
    CRC/Merlin etc sell OEM parts (hence no packaging) at a normally huge discount. I'd rather pay £40 less and not get a box...
    +1 , I had the KMC XL chain from them and it came in a jiffy bag with a big discount. Looks the same when its on the bike :wink:
    Just need the confirmation that the OE spec is the same as the boxed aftermarket product.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yes,

Walk into your local friendly bike shop and buy posh boxed shifters for £100, they'll probably even fit them for "free"

Or buy OEM's ones for £60.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Yes, you are expecting too much.

Be happy that you have a good price. What were you going to do with the box anyway? probably only throw it away...
    If you read any doomsday blog about the envirmonment you will find that most products are over-packaged. Reducing the packaging is being "green" get with it man... 8)
    Not really active
  • adb1006
    Point taken :roll:

To be fair it probably wouldn't have crossed my mind had my mates' XT's turned up only a couple of weeks ago in a fancy box with the cable outers in there as well.

I still need some bloody cable outers now though... LBS it is i guess.

Oh, and environmentally friendly? The bubble wrap they came in is about 3 times the size a box would be :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Phone Merlin, they may send you some for free
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I think that Merlin are great. There's no way that I'd have been able to get the kit I've got if it weren't for them. Got some XTR disc brakes last year for just under £200 and yeah, they didn't come with bleed kit and the hoses needed to be cut but that is where some money goes in the direction of the lbs.
    Had been planning to get the Sram X9 shifters and mech for only £110 but my recent redundancy has put that on hold for a while. The lack of outer cables wouldn't be a problem for me as I was planning to get the flak jacket cable set too.
  • adb1006
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I think that Merlin are great.

Had been planning to get the Sram X9 shifters and mech for only £110 but my recent redundancy has put that on hold for a while. The lack of outer cables wouldn't be a problem for me as I was planning to get the flak jacket cable set too.

Don't get me wrong - so do i!

I had been considering that kit but as there's nothing wrong with my X7, i've decided to run it to death and then replace it with an X9!
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    i normally get all my stuff from merlin and yes nearly all my stuff has turned up un boxed but at the prices of nearly buy one get one free on hayes brakes i didn't mind however new chain, cassette, pedals and front mech came boxed even with massive discount so they're a mixed bag on that account though
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Only thing to be careful with is forks- I seem to remember them having the serial numbers ground off- could be a problem when/ if the fork develops a problem and needs warranting...
    other than that, no box but cheap new stuff- grrrreat as TTT would say!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....