Which way do your feet point when riding?

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Yes I know they point forwards!

Been having trouble with my knees and I'm thinking it could be related to the angle that my feet are poInting due to the way my shoe cleats are set up.

I know there is no right or wrong way, just wondering.........

Stu

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Cleats should be set to the angle yer feet hang \t when sat on a table... Sure you have yours set up correctly? Or maybe (if you are on Shimano) change to CB pedals with more float?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • mine point slightly outward.

Sit on the edge of a table and let your feet dangle down, see which way they point and adjust your cleats accordingly
    'twas discussed here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12607787&highlight=dangle
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    mine point slightly outward.

Sit on the edge of a table and let your feet dangle down, see which way they point and adjust your cleats accordingly
    'twas discussed here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12607787&highlight=dangle
    It is worth noting that if feet point at marked angles then it might indicate a problem that is worth getting a sports physio type to take a look at. Could be an imbalance of muscle tone that is pulling the knees/ankles out of allignment for example.

This is a problem my wife had a few years ago. Contant walking sightly 'duck footed' over the years put incredible strain on her knee and caused her all sorts of problems. Physio sorted the problem - exercises to strengthen certain muslces in the thigh and buttocks brought her knees back into allignment and corrected her foot angle.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • docker0141
    docker0141 Posts: 605
    i need to get clip ins, my heels do touch the cranks sometimes :oops:
  • dazz55,

i had a similar thing, i had bad backs ( and i mean crippling ) for 20 years, sometimes i would be dropped like a stone with a wrong twist, once happened lifting an empty cardboard box, much to the amusement of colleagues (my gp said i had premature back fatigue from all the contract machine installations i was doing at the time). anyway i had free health cover so went to a podiatrist by accident (in same office in the village as the osteopath just on different days) told him my problems. he made me walk across an electronic matt thing linked to a lap top. he then shoved some foam wedges under different parts of my feet. he then told me hold out my arms straight ahead. he pulled hard on them and couldn't pull me over, he then removed the wedges and did the exercise again, he pulled me over with one finger on each hand. i was still skeptical but he persuaded me to order some proper medical insoles (there is a proper name for them but i can't remember what he calls them) they are like insoles but custom made for my feet (from his computer model of my feet walking across the electronic matt) hard and has lumps and bumps where i need them to correct my posture, cost £300 but i have never had a single twinge since ( over 3 years now) and i walk upright instead of that stooped over thing tall people do ( i'm over 6ft), amazing things. guaranteed for life and only costs £15 to refurb them when the outer padding wears thru (may need doing next year). so if you do get long term twinges in you knees, back, ankles or feet see a podiatrist, it only cost £30 for the initial & only visit. an added and surprising benefit is that i don't get that little dull pain in my knees anymore when cycling.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • I use Time Atax XS pedals that allow float for your feet to move laterally when clipped in. I have bad knees (cartilidge, or lack of more to the point) and they have made for a much more comfortable ride. My Shimano SPDs used to leave me in agony. You're feet will settle in their natural position if you give them the opportunity by using flats or clipless that allow float. You should use your natural angle of repose otherwise you're going to cause yourself problems.
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Sorry but I don't understand this one:

Toes pointing out a little.
    Toes pointing directly forwards.

In the second one you mean that the toes aren't pointing out off the pedals?
    They are roughly in line with the pedals?
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I can't see my toes when riding...
    Not really active
  • xtreem
    I can't see my toes when riding...
    That's because you wear shoes.

:lol:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Up!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • xtreem
    Up!
    That's because you have the wrong bike.
    3346755443_00b9f375dd.jpg
    :lol: