First Mountain bikes

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited March 2009 in MTB general
I'm just sat here reminiscing about when I first got into mountain biking.

What was your first proper bike and when did you get it, maybe you've still got it?

I've been searching the web to find a picture of my first mountain bike. I'm struggling because I can't remember what it was! I

The annoying thing is I've still got the frame hung up in the garage but I pulled the stickers off it years ago!

I remember it was a Raleigh and it's really bright metallic blue. I seem to recall it had orange graphics on it. It had a Zoom stem which I replaced with a flex stem!
21 speed shimano Altus with Rapid Fire shifters, Reynolds tubing,
It was about 1990 when I got it and was about £350 if memory serves me right.
It's fully rigid and the paint on the forks have some really good stress marks in them. I
used to ride it like there was no tomorrow!

Let us know what your first mtb was and if anyone knows what mine is/was from the brief description, let me know!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    First proper mtb was a scott voltage that I bought after snapping two old steel bikes in quick sucession.

Although i did have a raleigh activator which was fairly lush...

The scott got stolen, and i replaced it with the 456 which is infinitely nicer! :P
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    The superlative Rockhopper, wish I still had it, great frame!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • shae
    shae Posts: 105
    Alpine stars Coro- mega !!!! Deore LX, White and orange !
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Diamond back Topanga, still got it in the shed in full working order. Probably about 16 years young now :D
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    '94 Orange Clockwork bought frame-only and built by my Dad with an STX group... I was only 12 :D
  • I had one of the first container load of Marin's in the country. A Palisades Trail, must have been about 1987 or thereabouts. This was back in the day when conventional wisdom maintained that the 21" frame was spot on for me (at barely 5' 8").
    It had a chainstay mounted U-Brake and I rode it with Panaracer Smokes at either end and toe clips & straps!
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    GT Outpost. Around 1989 ish. T'was black with wishbone shifters, QR front but not back and I also think it had a chainstay mounted brake...............

Some fuc*er nicked it :evil:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mid 90s Ridgeback 603GX. I had it right up until last summer when some scrote nicked it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    again my first bought new and i still have it.

img2789ko9.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Rock Hopper - a tough beast of a bike.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Marin Bear Valley bought around 1989 maybe, which I had for all of a month before some git stole it :(
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Would a 95 claude butler carrera count as a first proper mountain bike?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    In chronological order -

1987 Giant Super Sierra
    1988 MS Racing CR1
    1990 Scott Super Evolution
    1991 Bontrager Race Lite RS
    1996 Scott Pro Racing

9 year break for beer, fast cars and faster motorbikes, rock 'n'roll and general misbehaviour.

2005 Giant VT
    2008 Orange SubZero

Funnily enough, last weekend I met a lad I used to go riding with about 20 years ago - out and about on his bike! Some things never change!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cheehee
    I used to have a bike, which I can't remember the brand :roll:

The model was a 'Kilimanjaro' and the company apparantly had something to do with GT.

It had GT seat, post, stem and bars. No triple triangle frame, but had wishbone seatstays. It came with twistshifters t'was a dark burgandy and black.

Anyone know what bike I'm trying, badly to describe?

Would've been around 1994
  • The first bike I ever bought myself was a Townsend Mango Creek. It was the late 80s when lurid colours were fashionable (allegedly). It was bright pink with green forks :oops: Have recently seen a bloke cycling round Altrincham on one. Ahh the memories came flooding back.

In about 93 I got a Raleigh Activator and used it to dodge the scallies around Salford

Returned to cycling in about 2005/06, following a break for beer & girls etc. etc, and bought a Carerra Vulcan.

Realised the Carerra was too small and rather rubbish so I gave it to the wife and bought a GT Avalanche Expert '07

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07
  • cheehee wrote:
    I used to have a bike, which I can't remember the brand :roll:

The model was a 'Kilimanjaro' and the company apparantly had something to do with GT.

It had GT seat, post, stem and bars. No triple triangle frame, but had wishbone seatstays. It came with twistshifters t'was a dark burgandy and black.

Anyone know what bike I'm trying, badly to describe?

Would've been around 1994

Mt Shasta?????
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    first bike was an appollo in 2006 but i think that counts more as a bike shaped object.

then it was a gt avalanche all the way back in 2006. since then ive had

saracen hazzard pro
    spesh epic
    spesh stumpy (still got)
    giant reign
    orange p7
    claud butler cape wrath carbon
    another stumpy
    bionicon
    cannondale f4 (stil got)
    trek ex6 (for about a week)
    stumpy again (stil got)
    giant rainier (still got )
    giant trance x (for about a week)
    enduro (stil got)

if only i actually found/made some time to ride eh?
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    Raleigh Mustang, one of the first mountain bikes in the country, back in the 80's, sold my Raleigh Burner to get some money towards it 8)
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I for one, don't chop and change that much, but its more a matter of finance than will....

Raleigh Mustang - a weird tie-dye pink colour - gave it away.
    Giant Escaper - still in a basement somewhere in Brixton.
    Orange P7 - kept the frame, but a threaded BB means its just a ornament (thanks Cycle Surgery)

Cotic Soul, hmmmm
  • first bike was an appollo in 2006 but i think that counts more as a bike shaped object.

then it was a gt avalanche all the way back in 2006. since then ive had

saracen hazzard pro
    spesh epic
    spesh stumpy (still got)
    giant reign
    orange p7
    claud butler cape wrath carbon
    another stumpy
    bionicon
    cannondale f4 (stil got)
    trek ex6 (for about a week)
    stumpy again (stil got)
    giant rainier (still got )
    giant trance x (for about a week)
    enduro (stil got)

Dude!! That's like a bike every couple of months!! It must be a sickness or something.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Blimey Big shoes, we share a history. It wasn't a Nite Burner was it??? Oval-tech tubing, ah thems the days. :wink:
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Irishdan13 wrote:
    The first bike I ever bought myself was a Townsend Mango Creek. It was the late 80s when lurid colours were fashionable (allegedly). It was bright pink with green forks :oops: Have recently seen a bloke cycling round Altrincham on one. Ahh the memories came flooding back.

I had one ! Very good bike despite its looks . although the green thing that covered its rear wheel was a bastard when it came to pumping air . Wonder what happened to townsend?
  • cheehee

Mt Shasta?????

That's the one. What happenned to them? I don't remember ever seeing another
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dude!! That's like a bike every couple of months!! It must be a sickness or something.[/b]

i am very fickle yes. but the would also include 3 road bikes if it was complete but ive only got 2 of them now.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Started off with a DiamondBack Topanga in about 1992/3 i think it was. Upgraded to full Deore DX with Uno bars and stem! Got knicked in 1996.
    Bought a Spesh Hardrock Sport in June 2008 and have just built a Rock Lobster Team Tig SL this weekend gone!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    approx 1990 (can't remember exactly) Carrera Krakatoa (black with fluro yellow paint splatter effect) Thumb shifters, v-brakes and rigid forks

QUALITY!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mid 90s Ridgeback 603GX. I had it right up until last summer when some scrote nicked it.

Is that the black one with Bianchi blue/green bars / graphics? If so I'm still riding it to work and back on a daily basis - promise its not yours though, I've had it from new in 1992!
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    edited March 2009
    Started off with an old Raleigh rigid vbrake thing in 2002 then went through the following

Norco Storm
    Giant XTC
    Scott Genius 30
    Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 (Still got)
    Edinburgh Courier
    Merlin malt 1 (Edit as I put the wrong one in :lol: )
    Cove Handjob
    Cove Stiffee
    Cotic Soul (Still got)
    Giant Anthem-x1 (Just bought in January - still got)
    Daveb
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    dave, the malt 4 is the most expensive. ;)

when i was first into mtb all of 4 years ago, i had:
    may '05 saracen Hazzard
    nov '05 2001 GT i-drive 2 - lasted 6 months as the frame broke
    may '06 GT i-drive comp frame from hafords with the old parts
    June '07 Spesh Enduro
    May '08 Merlin Malt 4 replace broken GT frame and a parts upgrade.

next bike - undecided. :?
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    1993 Look MI80 steel, full DX group (new)
    1993 kona kona kilauea (used frame with loads of other peoples left overs) best ever bike, I entered a DH race on it! with barends :)
    1999 Grey prototype full sus bouncer, so good I stopped riding (new)
    mongoose expert bmx (new)
    s&m dirtbike
    hoffman flash
    fly diablo
    spec hardrock
    2001 kona explosif
    2007 cove handjob
    2008 cove handjob

80's pug fixed wheel