Ghetto Garmin GPS mount for GPS60 & etrex

ACDCwmb
ACDCwmb Posts: 225
edited March 2009 in MTB general
I have a Garmin GPS60 which usually sits on the bars using the Garmin handle bar mount, which I also believe is the same mount for the Garmin Etrex series and looks something like this.

3338379444_7c7b72e7a1.jpg

The problem I have found with this is that the GPS sticks out from the bars in quite a bit in a bit of a dodgy position and ever time I have had a stack it seems to get ripped off the bars 8O. The GPS is always fine thanks to Garmins tough construction but the mount is never quite so lucky.

I have always liked the way the Gramin edge mounts central on the stem which looks like a safer position would also make it easier to use. So after various attempts involving cable ties, elastic, bits of foam and what ever else I could find in the garage I finally came up with this.

3337549483_1ce5e709bf.jpg

This is another mount I had kicking around which I had to buy when I had oversize bars and with the aid of a bit of epoxy putty, a few cable ties and a bit of rubber(which came with the mount) I made a stem mount.

Now the GPS mounts like this.

3338381806_fc4d9e3dc3.jpg

It still uses the exsisting cradle that the GPS clips into so it can be easily fitted and removed and is very sturdy, I tried it out on a 3 hour ride today with no problems. If anyone wants more details on how it's made just ask, it's very easy to make.
[url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Looks neat and a alot more protected. Might have a go myself.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I plan on doing something very similar for the basic etrex. I have bought a handlebar mount but plan to butcher the mount and attach it to the stem instead via zipties. I'll let you know how I get on and if I don't completely @rse it up I'll post some pics.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • looks good that! i did have an old mount that broke on the hinge, wonder if i still have it in the shed?? mounting on the stem would be cool!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481