A minor rant

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
I've just returned from a rather satisfying trip to Borough Market (yes yes I am a food ponce) and I spied this abomination outside Guy's hospital (on my way and on my return):

3333280636_5e0277c5a5_o.jpg

Now a few things strike me about this:

1: It's a lovely Wilier Alp d'Huez frame
2: That's a Fulcrum Racing 7 front wheel
3: And a Halo Aeroage white rear (I think)

So my question is - how can someone treat such a lovely frame so badly - I mean look, s/he's put BMX style bars on that frame :shock: :shock:

And also, look how it's been locked up! I reckon you could just slide the whole bike out of that loop, but even if you couldn't both wheels are ripe for the talking.

I don't get it! On one hand the owner appears to have some knowledge, nice frame, good wheels, clipless, good chain tension - but those bars and the way it's been locked!

I don't get it at all, it's Frankenbike.

Apologies to the owner, but come on!

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It goes against all your coordinated tartiness, doesn't it? Poor Jash. I feel for you.

*pats jash comfortingly on shoulder*

You should go back and stick a note on it expressing your views.

S/He probably thinks it looks wicked. :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2009
    [Rant Mode]

I agree with all my heart. It's disgusting! I have three locks on my bike and live in fear, this person just straps a lasso around it.

Also I love Fulcrum 7's but I make no claim that they aren't the same as a fat exhaust pipe on the back of a Renault 5. The owner of that bike needs a lesson in class. A frame like that deserves wheels that are elegant, subtle and that match as a pair - the effing tramp!

I'm also tired of these fancy handlebars with weird a$$ grips on them. Fakengers the lot. They get on my nerves as much as skinny jeans for men.
    How the hell, why the hell, hell is hell, would men put on skinny jeans that make their lower regions look like a cross between a poorly shaped female and a 12yr old. For F*ck Sake where the hell does the weaponry go!?! What sick perverted woman would find that attractive, sickening, really sickening. If I was a Woman on a date with a Man wearing skinny jeans I wouldn’t be thinking “OOooo I can’t wait” Those jeans wouldn’t get me thinking ‘lets get jiggy with Mr wiggly’, I’d be thinking “I’m on a date with a dude right?. At least lycra has a purpose, and compliments the shape of the person fat or skinny. Skinny jeans are disgusting.

I bet the person on that Wilier wears skinny jeans and somehow manages to roll them up to compliment his fakenger bag, t-shirt with provocative message like "I'm ghey it's cool to be ghey" to complete the fakenger look.

Next year they'll sell the entire contents of their wardrobe and buy into the next vogue look with a change in sexuality to go with whatever is fashion at the time (not that I have anything wrong with being ghey but if you are just be real about it and stop the pretence and pretentiousness you think goes with it.

And that's the problem I have with that bike and the many dotted around London. Its all about pretence, it’s the epitome of these superficial fashion that lacks depth, value or any real passion. For F*ck Sake Matching wheels! Proper handlebars and a proper I will f*ck you up bike London proof bike lock

[/Rant Mode]

Is that ranting enough for you Jash? :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    At the risk of being pedantic they're not BMX style bars. They're MTB bars with about a 2" rise, normally designed for dirt jumping :wink: They do look like they've been cut down as well, and that looks like an ultra short MTB four bolt stem.

I agree though, how could someone do that to a Wilier. They deserve to be taken outside and shot
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    the cable lock does go throught the frame, but i agree that one of those lock is def not enough. also Chav prop don't realised that is a good bike frame, wheels and stuff so it should be safe-ish
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oh come on. About half the regulars on this board make up bikes out of bits they've got lying around, so why shouldn't this guy (saddle's too razorblade for a burd :) ). I quite admire the mix and match approach - show's initiative and is probably a decent ride!

And just because I can, I'm going to post this again:

madone.jpg
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    biondino wrote:
    Oh come on. About half the regulars on this board make up bikes out of bits they've got lying around, so why shouldn't this guy (saddle's too razorblade for a burd :) ). I quite admire the mix and match approach - show's initiative and is probably a decent ride!

madone.jpg

really nice. :shock:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    biondino wrote:

madone.jpg

really nice. :shock:

fecking sacrilege :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i like the flames on the paintwork 8) , now where can I get some of those
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I guess it could have been assembled from a bunch of nicked parts, hence the owner having no appreciation of the value (financial or otherwise) of the components. Presuming it was also therefore cheap explains why it's not locked up with much care.

Shame you couldn't get the frame number, might've been interesting to find out if it had been reported stolen anywhere.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    That Wilier was probably nicked, all the parts stripped off by some cowboy and then parts mixed up and put back on various bikes to hide their true identities, then sold at some dodgy market in the East End. Someone somewhere is probably weeping that they lost that frame (and its original parts)....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    At least it's not the front of a Wilier and the back of a Colnago welded together.
  • DonDaddyD
    If the bike was nicked

It's likely that the orignal bike was only chained at the front wheel. I reckon the frame and the back wheel were nicked together.

The front Fulcrum racing 7 was most likely nicked from another bike and put onto that one.

How the handlebars came into being I don't know, probably the bike was sold to some soulless f*ck from Shoreditch (sorry hate the place) who hangs out around brick lane, pilled out of their head and talks with a mock 50cent/jamaican accent and they put that monstrousity on it because they figured it looked cool during one of their more coked-up periods...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    There was a photo in Cycling Weekly a few weeks ago of (National Road Race champion) Rob Hayles's fixie with gold frame, World Champ striped stem, and ...... BMX handlebars.

Maybe this is one of his bikes :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    You know, it hadn't occurred to me that it was nicked. I see mismatched bikes all the time, usually ridden by the hipster/fakenger types...

I always presumed they were just trying to be quirky... maybe not!
  • DonDaddyD
    I see mismatched bikes all the time, usually ridden by the hipster/fakenger types...

Unless it's a charge plug or some such pre-tarted abomination they're all stolen!
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    [Rant Mode]

I agree with all my heart. It's disgusting! I have three locks on my bike and live in fear, this person just straps a lasso around it.

Also I love Fulcrum 7's but I make no claim that they aren't the same as a fat exhaust pipe on the back of a Renault 5. The owner of that bike needs a lesson in class. A frame like that deserves wheels that are elegant, subtle and that match as a pair - the effing tramp!

I'm also tired of these fancy handlebars with weird a$$ grips on them. Fakengers the lot. They get on my nerves as much as skinny jeans for men.
    How the hell, why the hell, hell is hell, would men put on skinny jeans that make their lower regions look like a cross between a poorly shaped female and a 12yr old. For F*ck Sake where the hell does the weaponry go!?! What sick perverted woman would find that attractive, sickening, really sickening. If I was a Woman on a date with a Man wearing skinny jeans I wouldn’t be thinking “OOooo I can’t wait” Those jeans wouldn’t get me thinking ‘lets get jiggy with Mr wiggly’, I’d be thinking “I’m on a date with a dude right?. At least lycra has a purpose, and compliments the shape of the person fat or skinny. Skinny jeans are disgusting.

I bet the person on that Wilier wears skinny jeans and somehow manages to roll them up to compliment his fakenger bag, t-shirt with provocative message like "I'm ghey it's cool to be ghey" to complete the fakenger look.

Next year they'll sell the entire contents of their wardrobe and buy into the next vogue look with a change in sexuality to go with whatever is fashion at the time (not that I have anything wrong with being ghey but if you are just be real about it and stop the pretence and pretentiousness you think goes with it.

And that's the problem I have with that bike and the many dotted around London. Its all about pretence, it’s the epitome of these superficial fashion that lacks depth, value or any real passion. For F*ck Sake Matching wheels! Proper handlebars and a proper I will f*ck you up bike London proof bike lock

[/Rant Mode]

Is that ranting enough for you Jash? :wink:

DDD you are a man after my own heart!

I mean to do that, to a Wilier, shame.

SHAME

I may leave a post it note on my way home.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Guys, you don't actually KNOW it's been nicked! Talk about a baying mob :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    You know, it hadn't occurred to me that it was nicked. I see mismatched bikes all the time, usually ridden by the hipster/fakenger types...

I always presumed they were just trying to be quirky... maybe not!

I doubt those fakenger types with their rolled up jeans have the mechanical knowledge to strip a bike down and change parts etc, they just get their bikes from markets or ebay or wherever but the provenance is probably highly dubious. I agree with DDD that some pro bike thief probably tried to make it look suitably fakenger to appeal to the fashionista who would pay top dollar. It shows that the owner doesn't really know what s/he has and obviously didn't pay a high price by the way it's locked up, someone who really knew bikes would make sure it was locked with a D lock etc. Also shows that the owner is new to cycling in London or they would have stronger locks as they would have already experienced bike theft. It'll be nicked and back on the market again soon....
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    send the pic to BikesnobNYC & he'll write a hilarious blog post about it
    <a>road</a>
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:

He's right...
  • Headhuunter
    BTW, I sound like I've got something against fakengers, not at all, I think they add a certain colourful presence to the cycling community! Good on 'em, anyone on a bike's good.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I always thought stolen flat/ MTB bar bikes were easier to sell on than ones with drop bars? So it wouldn't surprise me if that frame was actually stolen, and then had a MTB bar bolted on.
  • Headhuunter
    biondino wrote:

He's right...

No, but we can talk about it - no harm in that....
  • leoccp
    leoccp Posts: 45
    edited March 2009
    I've seen that bike. It has vert drop-outs so probably took some effort to sort out the chain tension. I suspect someone who knows a bit about bikes did that :shock: more money than sense perhaps?
  • il_principe
    leoccp wrote:
    I've seen that bike. It has vert drop-outs so probably took some effort to sort out the chain tension. Is suspect someone who knows a bit about bikes did that :shock: more money than sense perhaps?

Yeah, this occurred to me this arvo, there's no chain tensioner that I could see, so some good work been done. In some ways this makes it worse though. How could someone competent do such a thing.

Of course it it was a Trek frame I wouldn't be miffed :lol:

As for the nicked scenario - don't know, don't really care - it's not really relevant to my rant.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Looks to me like it was built by someone who wanted a light fixie and had access to someone's castoffs... If it was all matched up it would probably have cost twice as much, be three times more likely to be nicked and ride no better....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Headhuunter
    Looking at that flimsy lock though, I just don't believe someone who knew that frame's true value and had gone to a lot of effort to convert it like that would then strap it to a lampost with something any old pair of bolt cutter could snip through in 2 seconds. So I don't believe that the person who did the work converting it is still the current owner.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    It's horrible.

I often see it being ridden along Wandsworth Road. The rider looks Very Silly.
    biondino wrote:

He's right...

I say burn the heretic!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I overtook that guy the other day, he was wearing a face mask, stripey jumper and had a messenger bag with swag on the back. Only joking - I did scalp him though, thought at the time the bike looked a bit "wrong" but thought maybe Wilier did some kind of weird urban hybrid type thing...