Which maintenance bible?

LaserMaster
LaserMaster Posts: 25
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I need help. Hollowtech chainset to replace, cassette change also.

I am tempted to buy the Park Tools 'Big Blue Book' which I've seen advertised online but wondered if there was a better alternative?

Can anyone recommend a maintenance handbook which is bang up to date witeh all of the modern stuff?

Many thanks.

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The big blue book is fine - probably the best of the consumer books. Barnett's is the most authoritive, but frighteningly expensive as it's aimed at professional mechanics. Worth it if you're serious about wrenching, probably not otherwise.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    The Internet.

Any book which is up to date now won't be in 6 months. The Internet will.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    whyamihere wrote:
    The Internet.

Good point.

I do also have Zinn's road bike maintenance book and it is a handy book to have on the shelf I find.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    +1 on t'internet. I changed my BB and chainset to a HTII setup recently. Whilst I read the appropriate parts in two seperate maintainance books I have, the Sheldon Brown site, the Park tools site and, surprisingly, You Tube were of huge benefit. Seriously, bring up youtube and search for Shimano or other such keywords and be amazed at the amount of videos for maintainance you'll get.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    celbianchi wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    The Internet.

Good point.

I do also have Zinn's road bike maintenance book and it is a handy book to have on the shelf I find.

Zinn looked good in the shop but is slightly disappointing and doesn't cover Campag Ultra Torque.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I had a quick flick through Zinn the other day at a mate's house and thought it was quite good actually. Maybe not for high end stuff but most of the basics were handled well I thought.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Another vote for Zinn. I prefer his drawings to photos, they're very clear IMHO.