Tell me about Edge 705 Maps.....Please

milleboy
milleboy Posts: 8
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi

Better half got a 705 and the base mapping is a bit limiting. Looked into getting more maps but getting confused :oops:

What maps? and on CD (which I guess you download onto a mini sd card) or on the card?

All help welcome!

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Depending what you want, you might like to consider the various http://www.openstreetmap.org-based maps. I've got a non-routable cycle map on my eTrex, which is fine if you don't want to use it for planning a route (I preplan on the PC and download the route to the GPS, so it's fine for me). A mate with the 705 uses a routable map with mapsource installer so it is available in training centre as well as on the 705. They don't give you everything that the Garmin maps do, but they are free!

_
  • joe1983
    joe1983 Posts: 440
    Don't know if you would be interested but I have memory maps covering the UK and France for sale pretty cheap. They are ordinance survey 1:25k and 1:50k topo maps and are what I use with my 605.

joebath1983@hotmail.co.uk if interested
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Memory map is not compatible with the 705 directly and will not download on to the unit.
    You need this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Garmin_Topo_Great_Britain_V2_Software_DVD/5360022485/

You can get it on SD card to but then you cant get it on your pc.With the DVD you can use your pc to plan routes etc.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If using official maps you have two choices, Topo or City Navigator. I got my Garmin with the Topo (as I wanted to use it off-road to) but end up using it 99% of the time on-road and the Topo maps are just too cluttered IMO. I recently bought a City Navigator Europe DVD directly from Garmin ( https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299&pvID=7880 ) and a 2GB SD card from Tesco (£5) to load it onto. The City Navigator maps are designed for use on roads and are much clearer IMO.
    As the guy above says - get the maps on DVD and buy a separate SD card (2GB SD one don't get a bigger SDHC card as it won't work, the Cty Navigator takes about 1.6GB). If you have the DVD version you can then also use it to route plan on your PC whereas you can't if you buy the SD card version.
    So now I have the Topo maps loaded on the base unit and the City Navigator loaded on the SD card and you can flip between them (however I probably won't use the Topo's again!).
    Also you need to register the maps at the Garmin site and they're locked to your unit so I'd be cautious over buying second hand (not sure if there's a transfer procedure available). I also had a hassle registering the City Navigator ones (I think mostly because I'd already registered Topo ones), worked it out in the end but can't remember what I did. Garmin phone support is pretty helpful though if you get stuck.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Openstreetmap coverage is currently very ropey in many parts of the country. And a word of warning - what you see on the openstreetmap online map is not what you get when you download the maps to your device. Coverage in my area (Sheffield) is very patchy. After messing about with various versions of openstreetmap (including a routeable version) I bit the bullit and got hold of Garmin City Navigator for UK/Ireland (can be had for less than £40). For road riding its pretty good (I use an Etrex Legend HCx), but I must say though that having been used to navigating with OS maps, the City Navigator maps look pretty rubbish in comparison.
    More problems but still living....
  • dd1
    dd1 Posts: 73
    Just bought the 705 last week, with the City Navigator on SD card as part of the bundle.

Followed the instructions on the following webpage which allows you to use the Garmin Mapsource program with full details.

http://www.velorider.co.uk/wp02/?p=68

Still trying to get to grips with planning routes and courses, but still a great littel gadget
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod Sram Red
  • I use a 705 with the Garmin City Navigator SD card.

I use Tracklogs to do all route planning and downloading to the GPS unit as either courses or routes. Works perfectly.
  • milleboy
    milleboy Posts: 8
    Thanks Guys!

Lot to go at there! Ta