communications while riding

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

I regularly ride alone and always take my phone with incase of an accident, however my wife always has trouble ringing me as there is virtually no reception when I'm out in the wild, so there really is no point in taking a phone. I'm toying with the idea of getting a couple of two way radios, I rarely travel further than 15km but my house is on the other side of a large hill and a few blocks into the residential area.

Has anyone had any experience with 2 way radios?
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not sure what the official line on it is or how it works but I can ring 999 with no signal on both my samsung and my ericsson mobiles.

Both 999 and 112 work with the keypad lock on too

So yes take it with you
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    Yep 999 calls will use any network available even if it is not your provider.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Two way radios still use line of sight. A decent one that'll cover 15 miles plus will be more expensive and heavy than you'll generally want to carry.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    How about distress flares? And I don't mean the seventies-type trousers...

I'll get my coat...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Ooh ooh, how about a carrier pigeon??

I'm not helping am I???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    How about a blanket and the means to make a fire?

It worked for the indians
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Sikora wrote:
    Or even the Native Americans :wink:

Seriously a whistle is the old tried and tested method.6 blasts of the whistle,pause then 6 more etc,etc.Can be heard for miles.
    Also worth noting,if you're injured and a rescue helicopter is flying around..don't wave.Put your arms up in a "V"and keep straight up,that way the pilot will know you need help.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Sikora wrote:

Seriously a whistle is the old tried and tested method.6 blasts of the whistle,pause then 6 more etc,etc.Can be heard for miles.
    Also worth noting,if you're injured and a rescue helicopter is flying around..don't wave.Put your arms up in a "V"and keep straight up,that way the pilot will know you need help.

Never knew that.

Are you still meant to wave whilst hes searching and there's no signal that he has found you? Surely it would be harder to be seen if you were standing still.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Vivid wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Sikora wrote:

Never knew that.

Are you still meant to wave whilst hes searching and there's no signal that he has found you? Surely it would be harder to be seen if you were standing still.
    No just stand,or sit if injured with your arms spread in a "V",everyone waves at a 'copter.If you do the V they know you're not just being friendly.
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    Thanks guys,

Was kind of looking forward to getting my wife to call me 'Delta Team 1' but hey I suppose a better phone would be an idea, plus i'd only giggle every time she said 'roger'.

Didn't know that V thing either, useful bit of info, ta
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been