Good reason why always wear a helmet... rocks dont move

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2009 in MTB general
My first wipeout of this year was at the weekend at a place called Kirkhill near Aberdeen.

Now those who are familiar with this place will know it's not a serious downhill kind of place, more of a trail area, but you can test yourself it you wanna.

The lessons on my wipeout are...

a) dont got so fast you overtake your mate, who set off 10 seconds in front of you, 3/4rs of the way down a rocky and rooty forest section, bragging you "have the faster line"

b) wear a helmet...please do.. if it wasn't for my helmet (it's a Trace skaters helmet and is tough as Silverster Stallon in First blood when he sewed his own arm up)

I fliiped off my bike at approx 20mph, cracked head on a rock then came to an abrupt halt when my shoulder slammed into a lovely comfortable moss covered slab of igneous formation...they don't move do they,, not at all like my living room bean bag.

Man that was sore, still is... I highly recommend 2 nurofen and 2 paracetemols at the same time...

My whole back is done right in.. muscular though.. not any bones so that's a cool as a fool in a swimming pool.

Wear a helmet folks.... glad I did. or it would have been the hospital for me... glad to still be here with everything intact....
Next full on ride 21st March... Moray Monster!!!

p.s yes I did get straight back on after the ringing in the ears had stopped..;)

Peace yaw

Great to be here

Comments

  • lucky man! good think you didnt go down nose 1st!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    lucky man! good think you didnt go down nose 1st!!

    yeah man, I've got the same bike as you (20" frame)....that was ok,, I think it was laughing at me.. or was that the forest trees?lol
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Don't know why anyone would take the risk of not wearing a lid when they're out on the trails. "I dont plan on falling" is the usual response...stupid thing to say. No worth being a vegetable for.
  • GmanUK101 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    lucky man! good think you didnt go down nose 1st!!

    yeah man, I've got the same bike as you (20" frame)....that was ok,, I think it was laughing at me.. or was that the forest trees?lol

    Aye the GT frame is solid as fook! had a few offs on mine and it just sucked it all up :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stoo61 wrote:
    No worth being a vegetable for.
    totally dude! got the little bright lights when my head hit.. just a bit, no cartoon birds though.
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    Your right Gman, most of Kirkhill is pretty plain but there are some really sweet little sections we've built over time. The Moray monster is a good crack but watch out for the bomb holes (the bunney), I've had my most spectacular crash ever there. Got launched over the bars a la superman, turned mid air, bounced off a tree, smacked the back of my (helmeted) head on a rock and split it. It felt like I'd been run over for 2 weeks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fwb2006 wrote:
    really sweet little sections we've built over time. .

    so it's all your fault :) you could have moved that tree root.. why was it there I ask...lol.. Now i've learned, sometimes the fastest line isn't always the right choice...I think if it was dry (as in bone dry) I could have flipped the back out and avoided the crash...but it was wet..lol nevermind, am still typing. just p***ed at not being able to ride for a week or so now.

    looking forward to the Monster.. wont be doing the large jumps as my hardtail may complain...don't worry though wont be doing the tea and cake route ;)
    peace

    G
  • mats
    mats Posts: 94
    I've done the same at the carron valley hit a jump totally wrong and way to fast catapulted over the bars landed on my head done a summersault and landed again on my a$&e dread to think of the outcome if I did not have a helmet on although I did end up in casualty later on that night with whiplash ( I wasn't taking any chances).
    One of the nost compelling reasons I have seen for wearing a helmet was a picture on a website, Glasgow mad MTB or something like that, It was of a helmet which had obviously been worn during wipeout and the bike had landed on the wearers(?) head chaing ring first, as you can imagine the helmet had two or three deep holes in it what would the chainring have done to a His /Her skull?

    Mats.
  • I had a big argument with a guy at work the other day about wearing helmets. He reckoned that theres no proof at all that wearing a helmet can save your life and infact it can casuse more injury if you actually wear one. We argued all day but after i did a little poking about on the net it turns out some of the stuff he was saying was true. Theres lots of sites out there with topics on the subject and they all make an interesting read.

    Personally i wear a helmet and i always will :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the helmets don't help debate always seems to be about having an accident on the road and as you say some of does make sense, whilst some of it seems strange....then again, some of the pro-helmet stuff seems sane and not other parts.

    i have yet to hear a sane argument against not wearing one on trails though.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

    H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cee wrote:
    i have yet to hear a sane argument against not wearing one on trails though.....

    for me no argument...wear a helment on a trail...rocks are harder than heads slamming into them at speed!!

    I dont wear the normal trail helmets with all the vents.. I went for a skater helmet... Trace make them...quite heavy duty, saved my bacon I tell ya :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is pretty hard to prove whether someone would have died if not wearing a helmet - afterall we don't test people until they die! It is also hard to compare groups of non helmet wearers to helmet wearers as there seems to be a marked difference in behaviours.

    However I think that people claiming they offer no benefit are absurd. They should be made to slam their head into a rock or kerb with a helmet, then without one, and see what causes most damage.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wear a helmet; don't wear a helmet. Whatever.

    It's all about personal choice. Just let's not preach to those who make the other choice. Two of my other favourite sports - skiing and snowboarding have been very good in this regard - just let people get on with it, whatever they choose.

    As for me, I wear a lid when out on the trails but I don't wear one on my commute to work. Likewise I wear a lid when doing serious snowboarding, but not when I'm just cruising round the pistes with my wife.

    Personal risk assessment, personal choice.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    my helmet saved my head in a crash at glentress, although it was a piss pot so didnt save my face, theres still slight scarring, not bad though, just under my eye. after that i decided to go for a full facer, when i told one of my mates this (he doesnt ride a bike) he told me that a full facer is actually more dangerous in a crash than no helmet at all, "because of the chin protection your more likely to break your neck" , oh how i laughed.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Wear a helmet; don't wear a helmet. Whatever.

    It's all about personal choice. Just let's not preach to those who make the other choice. Two of my other favourite sports - skiing and snowboarding have been very good in this regard - just let people get on with it, whatever they choose.

    As for me, I wear a lid when out on the trails but I don't wear one on my commute to work. Likewise I wear a lid when doing serious snowboarding, but not when I'm just cruising round the pistes with my wife.

    Personal risk assessment, personal choice.

    The problem is the argument against wearing a helmet is as daft as the one (years ago) for not wearing a seat belt in cars. The fact is they do save lives and the wearing of them should be promoted.
    Is it preaching or is it educating?
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    pictures on my pinkbike, why you should always wear a helmet
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    It is pretty hard to prove whether someone would have died if not wearing a helmet - afterall we don't test people until they die! It is also hard to compare groups of non helmet wearers to helmet wearers as there seems to be a marked difference in behaviours.

    Yup and yup- self selection is always a problem. Also, all injury-prevention gear has the statistical problem that it prevents injuries... Nobody reports crashes or attends hospitals for accidents in which they weren't significantly hurt, so they aren't statistics.

    One motorbike study in NZ showed that you're more likely to be left paralyzed after a crash if you wear a helmet. The anti-helmet-law lobby locked onto it until the author of the study did a further comparison and proved that helmet-wearers weren't sustaining extra damage, they were just surviving bigger crashes. The non-helmet-wearers were taking comparable spinal trauma, just that it was of less relevance on the grounds they were dead.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Good reason to always wear a helmet - Your swede!
  • Lorax
    Lorax Posts: 12
    I go out riding with 3 friends around UK trail centres - myself and one of the guys always wear helmets, and the other two never do. I have never confronted them about it - at the end of the day, it's their personal choice and who am I to tell them otherwise? On the other hand, they are my friends and I'd hate to see them get hurt - perhaps I should be preaching the 'helmet gospel' to them.

    Personally I'd never ride trails without a lid - I'm a tall, lanky guy and the number of times my lid has saved my noggin getting a bashing on a low branch, I've lost count :)
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    i didnt wear a helmet once, i still cant remember that day only what others have told me but i hit a tree HARD and awoke in hospital about a day later in pain, doctor says the mai impact was on my ear and 2cms higher and i would have died! now its no helmet no ride that goes for my riding partners too
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nah, preaching aint a good thing, some people will just tell you where to get off anyway..it's up to them,, but they are stupid if doing downhill or trail down hill if they dont wear a lid...
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    2 nurofen and 2 paracetomol is prbably not a good idea, i think nurofen contains paracetomol anyways so both at the same time could cause an overdose.

    Back to the topic, did the same thing myself at full pace on whinlatter, faceplanted and smacked my head on a rock, helmet saved my life.

    Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

    Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Yukon Lad wrote:
    2 nurofen and 2 paracetomol is prbably not a good idea, i think nurofen contains paracetomol anyways so both at the same time could cause an overdose.
    Nah, standard Nurofen is just ibuprofen - no paracetamol.

    I have been advised by medical types in the past to take both at the same time.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daz555 wrote:
    I have been advised by medical types in the past to take both at the same time.

    aye x2 400mg nurofen + x2 paracetemols.... nice!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can chuck in codeine to make your own prescription strength cocodamol. Mmm, opiods. (all cocodamol is, is codeine and paracetemol) But you do have to be careful here as many over-the-counter codeine tablets also contain aspirin, and which you shouldn't mix with ibuprofen. Nothing quite like mixing your drinks :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist