Cleaning crisis...

Whytepeak
Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
edited March 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Like a winter weed, my dawes - which was put away muddy at the start of the rainy season - (winter to help narrow that down) to preserve it in a showroom condition isn't looking good. I plan to service it tomorrow, but it seems like it's aged disproportionately to the length of time its been stored. The front mech has rusted, the fork has worked its way loose, and i was going to ride it on sunday.

What would you do to free a bike of cobwebs and make it trail worthy, armed with

Bearing Grease
Lube
Disc brake cleaner - but the bike has rim brakes
Plus anything I can find it the shed, or wherever my mum aleges it is.

Have already washed the bike, and am planning to re - grease the suspention swing-arm.
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• hi. id just make sure everythings tight and all works, sprays with lube, have a blast, come back covered in sh1t then clean and fettle t'ya hearts content :wink:
    then you can diagnose any areas that are goin to give you hassle on ya rebuild.
    but seriously with ur allen/hex keys your headset brakes and gear train are all viable for a spruce up and probably ,the parts that most offten need attention.
    any good place in manchester i dont know about? :)
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Thanks-

No places to ride in manchester - no trails, but theres plenty of stuff in the local woods and bridleways.
    Currently manage a 1hour ride from my front door on at least 50% dirt.
    In the city itself - and indeed in my local park, there a lot of street riding to go at, brill on sunny days.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1