Why?

off-one
off-one Posts: 155
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Just a few observations after todays ride.

Why: Did I get chronic knee pain today on my first geared ride, after months of riding just single speed, with no problems?

Why: Is the best place to hold a conversation in the middle of the bridleway?

Why: Do I launch of drop-offs on the Voodoo, but usually bottle out, when on anything else ? Does that extra inch make all the difference?

But the most burning question for today is. Why do alpaca's need coats? Dont they come from the Andes? Surely a drizzley hillside in Sheffield is nothing in compairison?

Comments

• strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Good post, i need these questions answering too, all except the singlespeed one i'm not hard enough for one of those!
    Did you use the same pedals and seat height?
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    Yep, even got the tape out.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I think the problem with the pain is a different set up, or maybe the knees not used to higher cadence on some parts ;-)
  • wings988
    wings988 Posts: 106
    Why do people take 6ish years olds on a red route trail? I saw a little lad barrell roll about 5 times after he fell of on a decline of Ftd at the Chase, his stupid idiot Dad was following. I rode by and heard lots of crying.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    wings988 wrote:
    Why do people take 6ish years olds on a red route trail? I saw a little lad barrell roll about 5 times after he fell of on a decline of Ftd at the Chase, his stupid idiot Dad was following. I rode by and heard lots of crying.

Could be a coincidence, but maybe you want to read this...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12609908
  • My lad's seven and I don't think there's anything on FTD that he couldn't handle.
    I haven't taken him because we're 2 hours away, and if I did it would be when it's quiet.
    Bottom line - kids are supposed to fall of bikes, it's what they're designed for.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Why alpacas at all? My mate has three of them(did have four but one died) whats the point? cant walk em, cant eat em, dont lay eggs and they can cost over £5000 quid. Hello :?:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    noodleman wrote:
    Why alpacas at all? My mate has three of them(did have four but one died) whats the point? cant walk em, cant eat em, dont lay eggs and they can cost over £5000 quid. Hello :?:

Wool. Simple as.

And you can eat them. You can eat anything if you try hard enough.

They're also phenominal herding animals - they have a natural instinct to herd other critters. My mum's friends son has some on his sheep station in Australia - he's credited his alpacas with saving most of his sheep by instinctively herding them away from approaching fires.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Why, in all the infinitesimal size of the universe, do walkers/kids/dogs want to occupy the self-same bit of it that you are in at any given moment?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dave_hill wrote:
    And you can eat them. You can eat anything if you try hard enough.

hmmm....not polar bears liver pate or komodo dragon tongue soup though surely?

:wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    wings988 wrote:

I had exactly the same thing happen on the Marin Trail, belting down one of the rocky slab bits and there's a father with small child on small childs type bike bumbling along.

"Coming past" was the shout, so father instructs child to stop bang in middle of rocks (all of about 3ft wide is the trail at this point!!!

Cue mucho braking and mutterd swearing (small kiddie present), look back and the kid falls sideways off the rocks onto another rock, promptly cries.

Why oh why do people do this when their kids can't handle it?

I could've been nasty really, 13st of rider + 30lbs of bike v's a 5/6 yr old :shock:
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    why why why does my front wheel always head for any horse/cow/sheep shit that's on any trail.anybody else get this problem
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    turpinr wrote:
    why why why does my front wheel always head for any horse/cow/sheep shoot that's on any trail.anybody else get this problem

you need to learn the art of high speed dung dodgin'
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • turpinr wrote:
    why why why does my front wheel always head for any horse/cow/sheep shoot that's on any trail.anybody else get this problem

If you look at it you will drift towards it. A quick glance is fine, but if you are trying to figure out what the animal in question had for its tea the day before you will certainly head towards it.

:lol:
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • noodleman wrote:
    cant walk em, cant eat em, dont lay eggs and they can cost over £5000 quid. Hello :?:

I say the same for some of the bikes I see! Can you ride an alpaca? That might be it.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!