Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

allez rear wheel

toslowtoslow Posts: 85
edited February 2009 in Workshop
hi all,
I am hoping someone can help . My bike is about a month old now and am now finding my self going through the creak curing procedures now everything is loosening up or bedding in . I'm not going to bore you with all the details ,but a certain noise is coming from my back wheel , as she is ridden in all weathers i thought i may have got water in the bearings .
Armed with my cone spanners i went to remove bearings and regrease only to find two grub screws , one either side . So ok i removed screws but nothing moves !
How the hell do i get to the bearings ? i'm assuming there sealed bearings. So if my assumption is correct can i do anything with them?

• maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if they are cartridge bearings then you'll need to whack the axle out from one side. Take a plastic/rubber mallet and give the end of the axle a tap. But without seeing the hub I can't say for sure. The Alex wheels I've had were cup-and-cone.

Might be worth dribbling some oil in there just to begin with, see if that helps. Also grease the frame dropouts lightly, as this can creak sometimes.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • toslowtoslow Posts: 85
    Thanks for the advice .
    But i chickened out and on such a new bike i felt the bike shop should deal . Which they did so kindly showing me how these hubs come to bits .
    Your very much right though as it mainly needs a couple of taps with a mallet to remove axle . Put a bit of grease on dropouts as suggested . All seems to be quiet again .For now.
    CHEERS