Oakley - tough + great post crash service

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Oakley glasses arent cheap but they are tough. Nonetheless after over 3 years of abuse I finally managed to break mine by headbutting the road at 30mph. Lost front wheel and went straight down face first, conveniently avoiding my helmet. Hit the deck pretty much smack on the right hinge which smashed but in so doing absorbed most of the impact so I ended up with nothing broken & not looking much more ugly before than after...

http://mr-miff-on-tour.blogspot.com/2009/02/pride-comes.html

Called Oakley and they told me to send them glasses to see what they could do. Heard just couple of days later for £14 they will extend warranty and supply new parts for broken. Not bad really and much cheaper than getting a new pair.

Also an eye opener/saver that wearing glasses can help turn avoid making a bad crash worse.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    What caused the front wheel to come off?

Lucky you didn't come off any worse! And glad to hear the Oakleys are recoverable - they are expensive glasses in my experience.
    Shazam !!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Ouch!

Just wondering... What bike computers/computer software are you using to get those graphs?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Reading the account on the blog I suspect by 'lost front wheel' he means it slid out from under him rather than it falling off the bike. Probably something to do with the combination of 30mph and a roundabout.
  • bahzob
    keef66 wrote:
    Reading the account on the blog I suspect by 'lost front wheel' he means it slid out from under him rather than it falling off the bike. Probably something to do with the combination of 30mph and a roundabout.

Correct. Example of accident occuring close to home, so relaxing and not paying enough attention.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    Bhima wrote:
    Ouch!

Just wondering... What bike computers/computer software are you using to get those graphs?

Graphs come from WKO+ (probably the most common tool used by people with power meters).
    Martin S. Newbury RC