KMC Chain - Broken

2»

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Any updates on this story? I'm on the lookout for a few new chains.
  • rockmount wrote:
    On the way home tonight, my KMC 10sp chain snapped. I had just stood on the pedals to start a bit of a climb, and I ended up head first in the road :( I have only had the chain since the end of November, and it only has a couple of hundred miles ... Has anyone else had similar, I wouldn't like to do that too often, its a bit dangerous, not to mention a right pain in the ass :evil:

I had a campag one do exactly that on me. Result was a broken elbow and a bank holiday weekend in hospital.

To their credit, chicken gave me a new chain and an apology!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Any update? I've seen more broken KMC chain stories on this site today.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Emm - got a new KMC waiting to go on my bike but I'm not sure I want to fit it now.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Just about to get myself a new chain. After reading these breakage stories I am much less inclined to go for a KMC chain. Will stick to the Shimano HG53 I already use.
    Shazam !!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not had a KMC 9 or 10 speed chain fail on me yet (the 10 speed ones were purchased as a 3-pack about a year ago and I'm on the second one now). 9 speed ones used on my MTBs with about 10 months on one and 4 months on the other.

There does seem to be an alarming number of KMC chain failures getting reported but I still think it's very much the exception.

Would be good if James Huang could post a follow-up...
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Is this only happening with 10sp chains? I have KMC 9sp chains on different bikes with no problems to report and I am a heavy rider. Probably about 500 miles on one of them.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I have just done a new build and have used a KMC chain on an Ultegra groupset. Third ride out last Sunday it broke going uphill; I've still got the bruises to prove it. Fortunately, the cross bar on these compact frames is much lower, (phew). However, my other bike also has a KMC and that's been excellent and still going strong. Now I'm not sure what to make of KMC chains and whether to recommend them or even buy another.
  • I broke my 1/8" KMC chain on my fixed gear last night. Haven't had a chance to check the bike over yet but a link in the chain came apart, separated at the pin. The bike had made two nasty clunking noises about a mile earlier when out of the pedals and I was actually nursing it along.

Need to look over the drivetrain to see if anything caused this
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Chains still breaking ... still no answers.
    angryasian wrote:
    Hi all,

I would agree that something appears amiss here. I've sent a message to my contact at KMC to see if they'd be able to offer a response. I'll post something once I hear back.

James Huang
    Technical Editor
    BikeRadar.com
    Cyclingnews.com
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Is this only happening on 10 speed chains? Just ordered a 9-speed KMC.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    rockmount wrote:
    angryasian wrote:
    Hi all,

I would agree that something appears amiss here. I've sent a message to my contact at KMC to see if they'd be able to offer a response. I'll post something once I hear back.

James Huang
    Technical Editor
    BikeRadar.com
    Cyclingnews.com

Are they? I haven't heard any reports for a few months now.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rockmount
    gabriel959 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    angryasian wrote:
    Hi all,

James Huang
    Technical Editor
    BikeRadar.com
    Cyclingnews.com

Are they? I haven't heard any reports for a few months now.

Currently on the first page ...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12684650

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12683981
  • gabriel959
    Not really a KMC problem this time though. It's mainly Shimano and some SRAM chains seems to me.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rockmount
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Not really a KMC problem this time though. It's mainly Shimano and some SRAM chains seems to me.
    Who makes your Shimano chains ??
  • gabriel959
    rockmount wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Who makes your Shimano chains ??

Still, you are buying them from Shimano, not KMC. And they are Shimano branded.

Do you complain to Vauxhall when your Saab breaks down? :?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • yet still nothing from suppliers or manufactures :oops:
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    I have a kmc 9 speed chain with a break in it. It will be going back to them when i take it off. :twisted:
  • KMCCHAIN
    KMCCHAIN Posts: 1
    Well, who is your contact at KMC? We, in KMC Europe did not receive your message.
    That is why we decided to react in this way.
    As for the chains which showed the cracks, similar to the Shimano 9- and 10 speed, this is a very limited problem, which is limited to small percentage of a one month batch production in early 2008. Chains can be identified by the "8" which is marked on several outer plates, any case will be treated seriously, without any hassle.
    Should you have such a problem, go to our website: www.kmcchain.eu and fill out the contact form.