Upgrade wheels to Speciallized Allez 18 2009 road bike.

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi,I have recently purchased a Specialized Allez 18 2009 road bike, in the end it came down to this or the Trek 1.2 but I opted for the Spec.The guys at Evans advised me that the Allez has a better spec of gears but the Trek has better wheels. My question to you guys/galls is if I upgraded my wheels would they make the bike roll better and/or make the ride more comfy? and is it worth the spend? and what make/type of wheels would be good for the bike? have not got a budget in mind but will spend if its going to benefit.I use the bike quite a lot, have recently started commuting to work and back (24 mile round trip) a couple of days a week and a 40-50 mile ride on a Saturday morning.Thanks,Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• Hi,
    I got exactly the same bike about 3 weeks ago. Just wondered how you are finding yours. I think its really comfortable and feel I could go all day in the saddle. Just need to get a bit fitter for the hills. The first thing I upgraded was the pedals to the Shimano MD540. For someone who is just getting back into road riding after about 12 years like me, the wheels seem fine for now.
    Sorry this doesn't answer your question but noticed you had the same bike as me and just wanted your opinion on it.

Mark
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm sure the wheels are fine for general riding, like you're doing. Upgrade them when they wear out.
    More problems but still living....
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The supplied wheels on my Allez Sport (Alexrims AT400 on Spescialized hubs) appeared to be laced together with linguine. If yours aren't constantly going out of true though then you might as well get some miles out of them before upgrading.

First thing I upgraded was the tyres. I believe even the 60tpi Mondos do come with puncture protection now. Mine didn't at the the time and it was a puncture-fest come the autumn. Even so there are better, faster rolling tyres out there.
  • Got the same bke, had a for 5 years now. Got fed up of the wheels going out of true quite often, spokes popping etc. Upgraded to a pair of Easton Tempest 2 wheels. Made a huge difference for me, much quicker to get up to speed and maintain speed, smother ride, more robust and dependable wheels although significantly lighter. Better tyres also made a big difference. I'm not a heavy rider: 72kg.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Allez Mark wrote:
    Hi,
    I got exactly the same bike about 3 weeks ago. Just wondered how you are finding yours. I think its really comfortable and feel I could go all day in the saddle. Just need to get a bit fitter for the hills. The first thing I upgraded was the pedals to the Shimano MD540. For someone who is just getting back into road riding after about 12 years like me, the wheels seem fine for now.
    Sorry this doesn't answer your question but noticed you had the same bike as me and just wanted your opinion on it.

Mark

Hi Allez Mark,

I think the bike is a great ride, and the speed on flat and down hills that I can build up is immense.
    :D
    I too need a lot more practice with the hills as I am finding that I am quickly running out of gears (heart sinks a bit when the gear shifter will not click anymore) :o and the much steeper hills I have to tackle stood up in the pedals (not such a bad thing). I was in two minds whether or not to get the 27 speed for hill climbs but I think I made the right decision in the end and I should find them easier with plenty of practice under my belt.

I have upgraded to SPD's and so far have fallen off my bike 3 times!! I am now getting used to the pain!! lol

I will be competing in the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride on it this June (72 miles from Wetherby to Filey) and so this will be a good test to see just how comfy the saddle really is. But upto press I too feel that the saddle is very comfy.

Enjoy your bike!

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Got a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites for mine, nice looking, fairly light and stiff. Keeping them safe for the better weather to arrive though !
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2