Cycling on TV

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited March 2009 in Pro race
Apologies if this has been posted already however, does anyone know how to find a proposed list of Cycling to be shown on Eurosport? I was looking on my Sky+ but is appears Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is not due to be shown. :evil:

Is there anywhere I will be able to see highlights (After the event) online?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Bart Puss
    Bart Puss Posts: 169
    edited February 2009
    It is being streamed live on www.sporza.be from 13:00 HOWEVER this stream is only available to Belgium IP addresses it would seem.

More chance of watching on www.myp2p.eu this is a bit hit and miss but showing the Het Volk on Saturday and KBK Sunday

Give it a try I will be. (once I`ve completed Rons Reliable Five). :D:wink:
    MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW
  • Bernie S
    Bernie S Posts: 118
    Keep an eye on cyclingfans.com,as we may have Sporza streams that dont need Belgian IP
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I saw this ages ago then saw it mentioned somewhere recently :

http://www.athleticsontv.org.uk/

Not 100% by any means but that is probably way too extensive to compile (or is it ?)

Het Volk (or Het Niewsblad or Gent - Gent ) is on Belgian digital satellite channel RTBF at the weekend.
    They are providing 2hrs 20 mins live on Saturday and in my experience are a great channel even if your French is, like mine, poor : commentators are great at picking riders up, not waffling and missing moves go etc.

Also on Sunday RTBF have 2 1/2hrs Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne Live.

I've set my DVD to record from RAI Sport today and I'll see what the Giro Sardegna is like there - should be nice and sunny at least.
  • andyrr
    Watched the Giro della Sardegna last night - very good camerawork, lovely scenery, not the most exciting sprint at the end with Ballan just edged out.
    Hoping to catch the remaining 2 days of this then the 2 races at the weekend and, if I'm lucky, the Eroica will be covered somewhere on Italian TV.
  • andyrr wrote:

Het Volk (or Het Niewsblad or Gent - Gent ) is on Belgian digital satellite channel RTBF at the weekend.
    They are providing 2hrs 20 mins live on Saturday and in my experience are a great channel even if your French is, like mine, poor : commentators are great at picking riders up, not waffling and missing moves go etc.

Also on Sunday RTBF have 2 1/2hrs Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne Live.

I've set my DVD to record from RAI Sport today and I'll see what the Giro Sardegna is like there - should be nice and sunny at least.

I think yesterday was the Sardinia Queen stage. :oops: I think I heard the commentators say that the final two stages are Petacchi-esque. Weather was foul, on day one.

Now the bad news. I think you'll find your Het Volk times for RTBF Sat are wrong. We are getting the Euroshaft.

Checking their site details and the RTBF programme grid and you'll see:-
    28/02/2009 14:20 (La Deux)
    28/02/2009 15:15 (RTBFSat)

They've always done better than this, in the past. Still, I suppose an hour or so is better than most will get to see.
    KBK times are correct, but it's a bit like Gent Wevelgem, after Flanders.

Oh and RTBF Sat may have changed it's Astra 1 frequency, since last year.
    Now at 11240V @ 27500 and has moved to the Hotbird sat at 13 degrees East.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrr
    Yeah, I noticed the change in satellite and as the only channel of note now on Astra is ES (in German for digital - still to source a workign analogue box after mine blew up) I decided to swap to Hotbird 13E : I have a motor on my dish but haven't yet got that all working so it was a quick and dirty setup a few days ago (ie loosen bolts on the mount and move by hand getting wife to confirm picture !)
    What's the deal with the RTBF La deux and RTBFSat : i take it they are separate channels in the same way as BBC1 and 2 are related but separate ?

Précédente diffusion: : 28/02/2009 14:20 (La Deux)
    28/02/2009 14:20 (La Trois)

Prochaine diffusion: : 28/02/2009 14:20 (La Deux)
    28/02/2009 14:20 (RTBFSat)
    28/02/2009 14:20 (La Trois)

taken from http://www.lasat.be/rtbf_2000/bin/view_ ... _year=2009

My reading is that Het Volk + K-B-K are on multiple channels and, in these instances, all channels are starting at the same tiem, givign the full coverage (well last couple hours ?)
  • Good news, indeed. Your link is where I got my info from, two weeks ago and again, this morning, when it was showing what I posted.
    The times have been "unified". Het Volk always got longer coverage and that schedule appeared brief. This is more like their normal duration.
    They do tend to change their cycling schedules at the 11th hour, quite regularly
    I find their programme coloured grids useful.
    http://www.rtbfmedia.be/lasat/grilles/sem1009.pdf

Astra 1? D:SF. Until last year covered Swiss and Romandie Tours. Dumped and picked up the Presidential Cycling Tour from Turkey. It was actually quite good-except for their neverending ad breaks.

ARD Das Erste/WDR Fernshen:- All of Koln on Easter Monday, Henniger Turm, Mayday BH, Vattenfall and a few others........
    Sadly, they booted the Deutschland Tour into history.
  • Sorry for the newbie question but is it possible to hook into these channels using a Sky+ box and dish?
  • andyrr
    Not sure - does it point to Astra of Hotbird satellite ?
    If Hotbird then there is a chance, if Astra then no unless you fit a motor to allow it to switch satellites.
  • Upon reflection, on Astra 1.
    You may well need the Euskadi channel for the Basque Tour. Eurosport didn't show it last year, for the first time. Maybe because a rival (Sport+) French channel did.
    Valencia shows their Tour, when it's not cancelled as it was, this month.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    I've just signed up to www.cycling.tv for the spring classics again. Hopefully they will be a bit more reliable than last year. Commentary is second to none when it's working.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    scwxx77 wrote:
    I've just signed up to www.cycling.tv for the spring classics again. Hopefully they will be a bit more reliable than last year.
    I don't like to worry you but you (and anyone else considering a sub) might want to read this.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I just unsubscribed after screaming at a crashing, buffering, bollox KBK on CTV for 20mins before going along to Cyclingfans and watching it fuss free.

Yes I have a Mac, no that does not make me a bad person - it's just as crap on my PC in work

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    I just unsubscribed after screaming at a crashing, buffering, bollox KBK on CTV for 20mins before going along to Cyclingfans and watching it fuss free.

Yes I have a Mac, no that does not make me a bad person - it's just as crap on my PC in work

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I got caught out by the automatic renewal from my paypal account last year. I chased them for months trying to get a refund but never did, despite repeated promises that I would. In the end their delaying tactics worked, I wrote the £20 off and decided I'd bad mouth them at every available opportunity.

DO NOT USE THEM. THEY ARE CROOKS.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:

Well you got further than I did. I managed to log in, find the link for Het Volk, then... buffering. Not even one second of pictures.

CTV has been on the end of some rightful criticism for years, but it's always been semi-reliable for me. Apparently not any more. I tried 3 different browsers, updated WMP, watched a bloody SRAM advert about 100 times, but nothing.

My sub runs out next month. I'll stick with Cyclingfans from now on.
  • calvjones
    Yeah, I was buffering in Camino, crashing in Safari and about to load Opera when I thought; hold on get a grip; and went back the pre-media player window (and WTF is it with ALL THE NEW FRIGGING WNDOWS ALL THE TIME!!!!???) and cancelled my account

Honest to God, watching a text ticker is far more rewarding.

Strava is not Zen.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    I had a couple of buffering issues on Saturday but it was mostly fine. It was perfect on Sunday (Internet Explorer and Windows XP).

I noticed they made a subscription in my paypal account again. I'm only interested in the spring classics so 3 months is all I need.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • andyrr
    Rai Sport Piu are showing the Eroica, or Gara "Eroica" Montepaschi strade bianche to give it's full title.
    Not live but 55 minutes of what should be a great race is one to look forward to : 6:45pm - 7:40pm GMT woo hoo !
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Sorry to say that I too have given up on CTV after nearly 3 years of 'nearly' service.
    It was good when it worked but that was not very often. I also had the PayPal subscription renewal issue. I gave it one more year after that but have cancelled it in the way some of you have suggested and it's over for me. What makes it all the more frustating is that I really enjoyed the commentary but the pictures just were not reliable.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    CTV have had to apologise to their users:
    http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/3/3/7790 ... b-k-covera

CTV just seems designed to make your blood pressure raise and to torment its customers. You salivate at the prospect of open warfare on the roads of Belgium but get only frustration and apologies.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Will a Monte Paschi Eroica live video be available on the internet?
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    ... P.S.
    I have just received their e-mail Apology - despite my not being a current customer (since last November) and not being able to login. Another example of their incompetency when they do not know who their customers are.
  • andyrr
    Eroica on RAI Tre - was supposed to be Rai Sport Pui - total change from a few days ago : might be the tail end of the race live - currently the guide shows 3:35PM - 4:10PM
    http://www.rai.it/dl/portale/GuidaProgrammi.html
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    there's a few sites out there which stream Rai Tre in web players (google's your friend) - audio's currently fine but pictures are all a bit staccato (3 three frames a second I'd guess). The news programme tG3 is showing at the moment.