Pashleys/Family Transporter Bikes

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
This is commuting of sorts - it's for the good lady wife to ferry the little monsters to and from nursery and their various social engagements because the traffic is just a PITA.

I'll have a browse in the Family section, but does anyone here have experience of these Pashleys? If so, are they any good?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• *sheepishly raises hand*

I used my music teacher's Pashley for a couple of years in Cambridge.

They're good, well, serve a purpose, and are great for riding in any clothes if you get a full chain guard and skirt guard.

However, when I looked into buying one for myself, I found them rather overpriced - I think you're paying for the name.

Also, this one was very, very heavy.
  • i'd 2nd LIT's over priced though lovely looking beasty, things like giant hybrids are nice bikes like most of those hybrids not light, about 40lb or so but has gearing so unless your fine lady is carting the monsters up nighingale road should be fine if slow.

beware some of the cheaper hybrids still have freewheels and tend to be rather poo.

would this be by trailer or child seat?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They may look pretty but it is entirely form over function. If you want that Pashley feel, buy a bike at half the price and strap a 10kg weight to it - use the money saved on bus fares.
  • muthas
    muthas Posts: 108
    I cant recommend riding a Pashley enough. Forget about fixed wheel riding as a 'zen' experience - riding a Pashley (or a similar style bike) is totally relaxing - you cant go fast (well you can try) so you can divorce yourself from the whole commuter racing thing, your riding position is higher and you have greater visibility. The downsides? major one is if you get a puncture - you have to rebuild the whole frame to get the wheel on and off; not great for carrying childseats if thats your thing as the centre of gravity is higher. oh and they are slow.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thanks all. Much appreciated.

They do seem expensive. Whenever I see the prices on ebay, I think "I can get a cross bike for that."

@Muthas - cheers for the heads up on the p******e problem. I'll see what my wife thinks when she hears about that... :)

We presently use a trailer or have a bike seat on each of our bikes. I'm a bit concerned whether a Pashley (or similar) will fit through the side gate.

I did see a chap going northbound over BB junction this morning on a tandem thing - his two kids had their own seats.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."