New shimano wheels, how the.....

Whytepeak
Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
edited February 2009 in MTB general
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... mano-20433

This thread states that the xc wheels weigh 1796g a pair, compared to the old M778 (1670g) - thats an increase of 126g :shock:
How can this be considered progression :? the old wheels may have been light, esp. for the price, but I would expect them to better it. The new all - mountain versions have got lighter, but I (a forum ranter) would expect them to be a bit innovative, instead of putting some new graphics on. Especially considering the slimming program Mavic have been on, albeit an expensive one :(
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not a new wheelset? MT-65? Does it replace the old XT? Seems to me a lesser set, more SLX level.
  • Whytepeak
    That has somewhat halted my charge :oops:
    In which case the all mountain - heavier set will be a steel - lighter than XT, probably trail wheels instead of all - mountain tho :?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, you tend to get an overlap in weights through the ranges, but intended use can be different. Depends where they have distributed and cut the weight. And strength.

Some Shimano hubs, while durable, weigh a bomb.
  • Those new rotors look good.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    1800g is still pretty good though, given they'll be cheaper than the XTs. Infact if anywhere can sell them at £150 or so they'll be one of the best options on the market.
  • Whytepeak
    No doubt Merlin will be doing a deal from the off :lol: