Advice on gearing for Scott CR1

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to upgrade the gearing for a 2007 Scott CR1 pro carbon bike? I'm relatively new to "proper" riding and have entered my first 185km Sportive ride in June, followed by a trip to the Alps in July to try the Joux Plane and Colombiere. I don't think I want to go the whole hog and get a triple, but most lilely a compact or 12/25 or 28. Any suggestions much appreciated?

I'm not a natural climber, but getting better all the time, and so far have done 40, 50 and 60 mile training runs in pretty good times. I'm pretty fit, but not that light..6ft, pretty muscular and 13, 5. i'll need all the help I can get..;-)

Would hope to be down to at least 13st by June.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Crikey Sampras, we've got the same bike and are exactly the same height and weight - are you my alter ego?!

I did my first sportive and first big alpine climb last year, and I learned that those little gears that I very rarely use on 50/60/70 mile training rides can be an absolute godsend when faced with a monster hill at 100 miles or 20k of unrelenting climb. You may get people saying they climbed Ventoux in 39-19 so that'll do for you too - ignore them. If you're not sure, get a compact and a big old sprocket on the back, if you don't have to use it then hats off to you, if you do have to use it it's still much better than walking!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    nasahapley wrote:
    Crikey Sampras, we've got the same bike and are exactly the same height and weight - are you my alter ego?!

I did my first sportive and first big alpine climb last year, and I learned that those little gears that I very rarely use on 50/60/70 mile training rides can be an absolute godsend when faced with a monster hill at 100 miles or 20k of unrelenting climb. You may get people saying they climbed Ventoux in 39-19 so that'll do for you too - ignore them. If you're not sure, get a compact and a big old sprocket on the back, if you don't have to use it then hats off to you, if you do have to use it it's still much better than walking!

Hi,

I recently upgraded the Scott to a 12/27 on the back and Ultegra Compact on the front, and it's like a different bike. Climbs like a dream so roll on Wales..;-)

Also replaced the seat as it's like a razorblade and way too long.