Mudguard for Mares

Little legs
Little legs Posts: 18
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Just bought a Focus Mares for commuting and crossing next season. Great bike - love it! I want to fit some mudguards in anticipation of the wet weather commuting that is undoubtedly on the cards- so any recommendations what to go for?

I did actually buy some SKS Chromoplastic mudguards but as the bike does not have a bridge between the chainstays I'm not sure how to fit the rear. Will cable ties be effective in keeping it in place or should I be considering the Race Blade clippy types or something else?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My metal bridge clip snapped after a few years - so i used cable ties to hold it in place - still on the bridge tho - not sure how you would hold it in place without one ? I bet it can be bodged somehow.
  • That will work fine. It'll be a hassle to get them on and off though. Use plenty of elec tape to protect your paintwork.

You could always use race blades. My only concern with them is that they end right at your headset. Also, the one time I snapped the front off a set of full guards, I noticed that I was riding through quite a lot more spray ejected forwards and upwards. This will be a bigger problem with bigger cross tyres than with road tyres.

I'd be taking a pair of scissors to a number of water bottles if I was going to be using raceblades, to build extensions.
  • Thanks Cougie and Always Tyred. I've done a bit more research on the Race Blades and the ones I've seen don't seem to be wide enough for the tyres on the Focus, so I'm going to fit the full guards with cable ties and see how it goes.

Cheers
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Race Blades are OK if that's all that can be fitted but full guards are a world apart.

My bike doesn't have the bridge behind the bottom bracket either. I fudged it using an old reflector bracket clamped to the chainstay angled just right to pick up on a bolt through the end of the guard. Works a treat.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Thought this was another horse thread
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/