Hydraulic brakes - Fitting advice before I buy

Where are my stabilisers?
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, so I want to upgrade my cable discs to hydraulic brakes and have a few techy questions before I get myself in a pickle :oops:

From pics and info I've seen, they seem fairly easy to fit. However, when I'm in charge, simplicity tends to evolve into complications! So....

Will I have to do things like shorten the hose lengths, or should they fit ok? I'd rather not have to start chopping things down and try to refit them! Obviously bikes come in different shapes and sizes, so surely the hose length required will vary? Is too long a problem? etc...

I currently have 160mm rotors, but am looking at 185mm. If I change the size, I'm gonna need different adaptor things to make the calipers fit my frame and fork right? Knowing what size to buy is the problem for me here, or would they come with the brakes?

I'm looking at avid juicy ultimates to be put on my hardtail xc, which I think (obviously I will check) has IS mounts. If I were to stick to the same rotor size, is it just a case of whipping the old gear off, attaching the new and bleed if required? Or, am I missing Major details :oops: If I go for bigger rotors, what do I need to buy/consider/do to make the caliper fit the mounts and align properly?

Any details on installing hydraulic brakes would be valued and if you need to know more details from me, just let me know.

Cheers.

Comments