New to MTB forum, looking to upgrade old diamondback

holmeboy
holmeboy Posts: 674
edited November 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi this my first post on the MTb side of the forum, as I mainly ride my road bikes.looking to upgrade old diamondback mountainbike (15 yrs old?), probally just about everthing except the frame. It's got front suspension on it just now (which seized years ago) and don't really think I would need to replace it with suspension again as I don't really intend doing serious off road stuff, maybe the odd day on the Glentress site not hard routes. What size's etc are relevant to replacement forks? What about the groupset? Don't think i'd have a problem changing/fitting stuff more what to buy and size? Especially the brakes, would i be able to buy the complete brake set to fit the old frame? Any help much apprieciated. holmeboy :D:):o 8) :lol: :x :P :oops:

Comments

• I have an old Diamondback Topanga (95) in Black with Green swirls which I'm still using (whilst I complete a new build). I did contemplate upgrading etc but because the frame was so old (although in great condition) it didn't have the latest features such as mounts for disc brakes etc..Also geometry has moved on alot to better accomodate front suspension. I came to the conclusion it was not much difference to build up a new bike all be it with a cheap new frame. Cheaper still would be to buy a new bike! I made the decision on a particularly wet and muddy day hairing down a hill and the brakes did absolutely nothing! :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What Diamondback is it?
  • holmeboy
    sorrentose, frame marked cr-mo? Approx 1996. cheers for the help. :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice bike, I had a rare 1996 DB Traverse.

This look similar?

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

You need to find out wheter the fork is threadless and what size diamter steerer.

A v brake set would fit fine, but you would need new levers.

Any step up in speeds would require new shifters, rear cogs, and possibly chainset and derailers - would also need to know if a freewheel or cassette freehub.
  • holmeboy
    No actual photo of it the BP site but spec similar, parallel top tube on mine. rst170db forks, avenir marked on handlebars and stem, shimano marked on brakelevers, gear levers look integrated with them can't remember if i've had them apart. No markings on deraillers.

will need new changers anyway and new wheels, rims look a bit rough. Chainset has been changed in the past and is shimano with cranks and will look closer at when time comes to strip build. More as a project, something to do than just wanting "new2 MTB. Not serious MTB to justify spending decent amount of cash.

Cheers Again, super :D

:shock: :):lol::cry::wink:
  • holmeboy
    need help in finding replacement forks for this bike, not nescarry suspension. 1" tube, have obtained few from scrappies but either the the threaded parts to long or short and the last set the Handlebar stem wo'nt go into fork! :cry: