hilly route round greenwich?

Hi

Im looking for a short (20-30 miles) hilly route in the Greenwich area. Up thru the park is an obvious start but then where? I don't know the area at all, if I head over to Blackheath will I find some hills?

thanks!

Comments

• Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    have you tried bikely.com?
  • Thanks Rudd
    didnt know about that resource.
    found "OneHour_OneThousandFeet_Lewisham Greenwich Alps" which sounds promising!
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Left out the top of the park, head over Shooters Hill and right round the back and up over Lewisham I would have thought other than that you probably need to head a bit further a field - Biggin Hill, into Kent etc but you'll end up doing bigger mileage than 20 miles if you do that

Greenwich park is okay for shortish hill reps though and there's usually plenty of jogging eye candy at the weekend too
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    You've got two options really. Head towards Plumstead, and up Bostall Hill, maybe towards Crayford, Bexleyheath, up over Shooters Hill, and then add a bit in arround Eltham t make up the 20-30 miles, there's a few hills in there but nothing massive. the other option would be to head over towards Crystal Palace, but that's really the only decent hill on that route. You'll probably get more hills if you head towards Biggin Hill, but again nothing too long, mostly short and sharp.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • i live in Greenwich & for hills it's best to head south. This is the way i go

>Go through Blackheath and continue south on B212 (lee rd)
    >Carry straight on south, now on A212 until you get to Bromley
    >Turn left on A21 through Bromley (this is a short 4 lane stretch but not too bad)
    >Turn right shortly after you pass Halfords onto b265 (Hayes lane)
    >Stay on this road through Hayes and Keston (This is all up hill)
    >At the end of this road (a T junction about 10m from greenwich) you have a choice...
    >Either turn round and role down hill back into London admiring the view
    >Or turn right and then take 1st left to go (down & up) to Downe (about 12m from Greenwich)
    >Once in Downe yo[/list]u have loads of options - Biggin Hill / Knockholt etc the choice is yours but this way out of London should send you mainly uphill and isn't too bad for traffic.

Enjoy