Juicy Ultimate 7 Binding (Pics)

humbuck
humbuck Posts: 6
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Ladies and Gentemen

One for all you Juicy Ultimate Owners

Attached are some photos of the the Worm Gear and Worm Gear coupling from my Juicy Ultimate 7s (Specialized specials) on an 08 Enduro Expert SL.

I just rebuilt the rear brake caliper and lever and noticed the the lever action is now anything but smooth.

I checked the Piston and Cylinder but all is immaculate.

After some investigation I found that the steps in the lever action are coming from binding between the Worm Gear and the plastic Coupling.

This binding only occurs in certain positions on the reach adjuster mechanism.

Looking at the photos you can see a high point on one side of the interior of the Worm Gear.

DSCF0374.jpg

On the other photo you can see that this high point was caused by what appears to have been a punch on the threads.

DSCF0372.jpg

The punch has actually crushed the whole Worm Gear slightly.

In the last photo you can see the Coupling that slides through the gear and the slots that run along it.

DSCF0375.jpg

Of course when the slots line up with the high point the action is smooth but in every other position the high point binds against the Coupling causing crappy action.

So what do you reckon? Are they all like this? Is the punch some engineering afterthought or does it serve a purpose? Can I carefully file the high point down and get on with things?

Ta