What phone do you take?

jackfeeder
jackfeeder Posts: 269
edited February 2009 in MTB general
What phones do any of you take with you when you're out. I'v got a Sony Ericson with a 3mp camera but it doesn't like the rough stuff very much. Tends to conk out when it gets too humid, bumpy etc etc.
Any recomendations for a phone that is quite sturdy but has a camera to take those epic landscape shots when you're out and about, and will work if you end up in the sh*t.
Ta.
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• Did think about getting a cheap rubberised bouncy type phone, however my iPhone hasn't let me down yet, although i do wrap it with a sandwich bag when its raining.
  • Did think about getting a cheap rubberised bouncy type phone, however my iPhone hasn't let me down yet, although i do wrap it with a sandwich bag when its raining.

+1 I take my iPhone but put it in one of these http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/erol.html#592X1119
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Cool site & products, bookmarked for future reference. Cheers
  • I use a sony eric C702 which is splash and knock resistant has gps aswell. I still put it in an acrylic cover. Not the greatest of phones but does the job..
  • I've got one of those too, really good piece of kit. Although I got mine free as they sent smaples to my rowing club 8)
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    LG cookie cheap but never lets me down
  • Got the SE c702 as well. Chuck it in a ziplock bag as I'm not sure how much of splash it will be waterproof to. Not a bad camera either. Had issues with it crashing all the time but upgraded the firm ware and it's all good!
  • My dad takes The Black Nokia N95 8GB that records at 30fps

and i take my Nokia N93 witch has 3x optical zoom with a Carl Zeiss Lens and records at 30fps and is ideal for getting video/pictures of ur mates / family on the bike as it has 3 times Optical zoom and Stereo Recording.

my mam takes her Normal Nokia N95 with the 8Gig card and also records at 30fps.

:wink:
    S-Works Carbon StumpJumper
    XTR
    Fox
    Betty 7

http://www.youtube.com/BigBadJohn118

16 Years old and has owned an S-Works Epic M5 HardTail With a full XTR Groupset
  • We just put our phones in our Gore-Tex Pockets and we are away with the fairies
    XTR
    Fox
    Betty 7

• Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Phone in waterproof pocket! Depends on where you are, you might have a signal or not!

SE C902, crappy 5mp camera (worse than my 3.2mp phone).

Never had any problems with SE phones and dirt/sand/damp/rain.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    If I'm riding in a group, whatever phone they're carring, because I'm snide, ha ha.

If I'm going solo I take a nokia E50-1 because it's a company phone and doesn't matter if it dies.

I sometimes take my N95 8GB because I downloaded the sportstracker for it that shows distance, speed, altitute etc and maps it all on google maps which is cool. It's free download for any GPS enabled Nokia N Series (95, 95 8GB and 96).
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have a HTC Touch Dual (AKA T-Mobile Touch Plus) and It is a sturdy b*stard! especialy since it is a windows mobile so is essentially a PDA. Has never let me down, even when i fell flat on my front and slid for a while on ice with it in my front shorts pocket.

Reading here I am leaning towards getting a case or something as at present I use nothing
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    nokia 2610, it's just a phone. if i feel in the mood to take pics i take my old trusty point and shooter, canon powershot a620.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Motorola KRZR K1 - in a ziplock placcy bag and in the media pocket of my Camelbak. Cushty.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • my blackberry 8310 curve.
  • HTC touch diamond. When it works...
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • Mattmanic wrote:
    HTC touch diamond. When it works...

Amen to that. I rue the day I became dependant on Windows Mobile phones.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • oh and aswel as taking my N93 i take my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 7.1mp i think and it has 15 Times optical zoom and can video at 30fps with sound and at 15x optical zoom

great for long distance pictures and videos/jumps/fast action/whatever really

Award Winning Camera :twisted:
    XTR
    Fox
    Betty 7

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I used to take my antique Nokia 5100, because it was invincible- shock resistant, seriously water resistant, I've dropped it in a reservoir and in a pint glass and it never even noticed. Perfect outdoors phone, it even had a tiny little LED torch, which was just enough to walk by. Loved it. But it's dead... The modern equivalent is the Samsung M110 Solid, which has the downside of being a ****ing useless piece of ****. Terrible interface... It also has the torch, but it makes basically no light, and it's a horrible phone. But it'd still be good for outdoors use, you'll never kill it no matter how hard you try.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I take my Vodaphone 840(?) or summat - get one free every year on my contract. Camera is handy but I never text, never reply to texts unless 'yes' or 'no' will do it, never listen to music or play games.

I just talk on it! :oops:
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • Take a nokia 5500 I clip to the stem, run OS maps
    got a TZ5 too
  • Northwind wrote:
    I used to take my antique Nokia 5100, because it was invincible- shock resistant, seriously water resistant, I've dropped it in a reservoir and in a pint glass and it never even noticed. Perfect outdoors phone, it even had a tiny little LED torch, which was just enough to walk by. Loved it. But it's dead... The modern equivalent is the Samsung M110 Solid, which has the downside of being a ****ing useless piece of ****. Terrible interface... It also has the torch, but it makes basically no light, and it's a horrible phone. But it'd still be good for outdoors use, you'll never kill it no matter how hard you try.

My N93 Was floating around the bottom of my Jacuzzi while the jets wer turned on and it was bouncing side to side inside the bath and it took me ages to find it i had to get out n turn the jets off to grab it.. :lol::lol:

and gess what.....SOME ONE RANG ME WHEN I TOOK IT OUT :lol::lol::lol::lol: and i Answerd it :lol::lol:
    XTR
    Fox
    Betty 7

• get a motorola w220. Basic as they get but is indestructible

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • N95 8BG black one. Its good with photos, very good onthe few times I've used it to record some video footage.

It also has the maps thing on it from google - I used this the other day when I was out, it finds where you are then you can work out where to go etc...

I can't get the damn sports tracker thing to work though :evil:
  • iphone, i've had various ipods over the years and they seem to be a lot more durable than most phones, and so far, this phone v1 has minor scuff marks and odd scratch but is fine has very little in way of areas that water can get in. i just put it in my pocket...
  • I don't. I can't think of anything I'd hate to have with me on a ride more than I would a phone. Perhaps a comedy Acme anvil or 16 tonne weight in my jersey pocket, or a Buff imprenated with Anthrax spores?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I don't. I can't think of anything I'd hate to have with me on a ride more than I would a phone. Perhaps a comedy Acme anvil or 16 tonne weight in my jersey pocket, or a Buff imprenated with Anthrax spores?

Are you claiming you don't take one because of weight issues?

I should add when I do take one, unless I'm using the Sportstracker or MP3 player on it, it's switched off, and always on silent.
  • N96. Great with Sports Tracker but USELESS for everything else. Sometimes takes a minute to open a text. Nokia to thier credit replaced it...... no difference
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't. I can't think of anything I'd hate to have with me on a ride more than I would a phone.

"Hello, is that 999? I've broken my leg and I'm in a ditch, be a dear and send someone round with an ambulance would you? Thanks awfully". THIS is why I carry a mobile ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SE c905 - 8mp, camera, GPS. All wrapped in an ortlieb case never had an issue as long as I remove muddy gloves before using.

And couldn't agree more

Northwind wrote:
    I don't. I can't think of anything I'd hate to have with me on a ride more than I would a phone.

"Hello, is that 999? I've broken my leg and I'm in a ditch, be a dear and send someone round with an ambulance would you? Thanks awfully". THIS is why I carry a mobile ;)
    Do or do not there is no try!

Boardman Team 08
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevinkevil ... 440283935/