tyres

songbird
songbird Posts: 60
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I have been riding on the road with knobblies tyres and find them unstable. Is this normal?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    yes
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The knobbles "squirm" (move about causing unexpected changes to track) especially on cornering - get some slicks for the road.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    If you're wondering about what slicks to get I've been using Hutchinson Fusions for the last 4 years.
    Little Tip. If you're in France pick some up as they work out cheaper.
  • Not as unstable as my slicks in mud, I bet!! 8)
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • Steve Kish wrote:
    Not as unstable as my slicks in mud, I bet!! 8)
    true!

though marthon pluses aren't that bad amazingly, clog but then so do most knobblies to be honest.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes. You don't need knobbles on concrete, as the whole point of 'knobbles' is to dig into the ground - and this just isn't going to happen on a B road. It actually means you've got less rubber in contact with the ground. Obviously it's different off road. Get some slicks, they are much better. Maybe semi slicks.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ACMadone wrote:
    If you're wondering about what slicks to get I've been using Hutchinson Fusions for the last 4 years.
    Little Tip. If you're in France pick some up as they work out cheaper.

Will second that, been using Hutchinsons for a few months, done a good 1000 miles, haven't puntured with them yet.

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.