Can any Cube Aeriel riders offer their riding impressions?

Phantomkipper
Phantomkipper Posts: 15
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Looking at a cube aeriel as an alternative to a trek 1.5 or giant 2.5 - any thoughts?

Comments

• Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    If you can wait a few days I'll tell you - I'm waiting for my cyclescheme voucher so I can pick mine up!

As for the frame - you could also ask any Peleton/Attempt/Streamer owners as they are the same frame.

IMO it looks a lot nicer than the trek and the giant (which was also on my shortlist). Although the giant doesn't look as bad in the flesh as it does in the brochures. I just preferred the slightly more stretched out position of the Aerial.
  • Yes, it does look good - was slightly put off by the ally seat post, but the rest of the spec is impressive for the money - let us know how it works out - there seem to be very few in circulation!
  • Rhods
    Will do, sooner rather than later hopefully.

I was talking to the guy at my LBS and Cube could not keep up with the demand in the UK last year (They're big in Germany and have been for a while as I understand it) and the waiting times were long, which is what put many off I'd imagine, hence there aren't that many on the road. Grab one while they're still a bit exclusive!

The bikes are very similar to last year's models and both the Peleton and the Aerial got very good reviews in Cycling Plus.

But must say, although I'm inexperienced in all this, I was impressed with the quality and value.

Will report back in a few days hopefully.
  • Thanks - our LBS seems to have gone from Trek to mostly Cube and rate it highly.

I think last year it was only £499 for virtually the same spec. - fantastic value.

good luck - just going through Cycle scheme myself
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have a peloton which I'm impressed with frame and fork wise although I have changed it around a bit lately. I think the frame and fork are great, I had 105 stuff with it with FSA triple chainset, like the black and red one you'll find a review of on this site... but now all that gear is gone.

IMO the handlebar was very wierd and had to go first, it came with a Riitchey biomax with a very shallow drop that didn't look or feel right. I have biomax bars again actually but with a far more normal drop and width. I can fuss on about the 105 that was on it cos I would get some ghost shifts and so on no matter how methodically adjusted so I just took it off and sold it all while it was nice and shiny. Anyway the frame and fork are great and nice and lively feeling but comfortable enough over distance and certainly worth chucking a few upgrades at over time.
  • I have the 2008 Peloton also, and love it. The frame and fork are rather excellent - comfortable and lively. It's a bike I would happily do a century ride with. I like the shape of the bars, though mine was fitted with Easton EA30 shallow drop bars, very similar to the Ritchey Biomax. The only thing I have changed is the saddle as I was not keen on the padding on the Scape saddle originally fitted.

I have had no trouble with the 105 set up, or any other components.

Best of all, the bike looks fantastic.
  • I have the 2008 Peloton also, and love it. The frame and fork are rather excellent - comfortable and lively. It's a bike I would happily do a century ride with. I like the shape of the bars, though mine was fitted with Easton EA30 shallow drop bars, very similar to the Ritchey Biomax. The only thing I have changed is the saddle as I was not keen on the padding on the Scape saddle originally fitted.

• Thanks for that - I was looking at the peloton today and was very tempted. The top tube might be a bit shorter than the trek - felt like it needed another 10 or 20 mm on the stem for me, but is well equipped.

Couple of questions if you have time...

Are the Fulcrum 7s al they are supposed to be? do they stay in true very well, as i'm a bit on the heavy side. I had someone tell me teh Shim R500 wheels were better than the Fulcrums. Also the rear hub freewheel does that lolly stick noise thing lol And te scwalbe Blizzards are they OK?

The main advantage over the aerial seemed to be the 105 kit . To buy them as upgrades would certainly be more than £150, but i'm still hesitating to spend the extra cash!!
    Are they worth it - would I notice the difference as a new road rider? My marin mtb has deore stuff which is nice to use.

Thanks
  • I'm happy with the Fulcrum 7s but I don't think they are necessarily better than Shimano R500s or RS20s. They do make a racket, though you do get used to that. In fact it's quite useful for making pedestrians aware of your presence.

I thought the £150 premium for the Peloton over the Aerial was worth it (obviously) but that's entirely up to you. Nothing wrong with the Tiagra 9sp kit.
  • Forgot to include the Schwalbe Blizzards in the previous reply. They are fine - good grip and puncture resistance so far.
  • Thanks for the info - the extra £150 seems like great value, i'm just trying to get everything I need at £1000, and floor pumps, gloves, guards,pedals and shoes, etc etc

I can get everything with the Aerial, but need to leave some bits out for the Peloton - decisions decisions!

Thanks again
  • Rhods
    Hi Phantomkipper

Just a quick update. I finally got my Aerial tonight - when I got the email to say my voucher had arrived, I was like a kid on Christmas morning!

Won't get a chance to go out on it properly till next week though, so will let you know the.

It does look fantastic though!

Are you any closer to making a decision?
  • Rhods
    Just took the Aerial out for its first spin.

I have no previous experience with road bikes, so have nothing to compare to. But, It is such a rush to ride one!

Anyway, to the bike - I was surprised at how comfortable it was. Apart from on the very worst surfaces (I live in Cardiff and I really don't know what they do with my council tax!), it was very comfortable.

As I've said before, it looks great aswell and I'm very happy with it!

Only issue, I'm pretty sure the wheels (Shimano R500) will need truing before long, but I think that may be a reflection on the rough roads and my weight! (On that note, sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if the R500s are easy to true for a complete novice?)
  • Great news about the bike, sounds really cool :D

Cant answer for the R500 wheels sorry.

The Peloton I tried had the Fulcrum R7 wheels which are supposed to be good due to the hubs, but some say the R500s are likely to stay true longer. Suppose it depends more on how deep the holes in Cardiff are!

I couldn't get used to the ratchet clicks on the rear freewheel on the Fulcrums, alot of road riders say they love it.

Latest news for me is going towards a Trek, seeing if I can get an old model 1.7 or 1.9 - the frame seemed a better fit for my shape somehow. De Ver were able to do a good deal on line, but would prefer a LBS. Closer to a decision anyway,

Safe riding!
  • I am 5 months into my Areial ownership and ride her 12 miles daily to and from work. I was also very impressed. the only slight issues I have is that to dosen't do to well in the rain and I have had to adjust the gears twice how as they keep slipping.

It is a proper little heat turner and I was sad enough to match it up with a black and blue Giro helmet when I got it. sad but looks good

I am just holding out for the better weather now so I can get out and about more.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    How do Cube bikes compare with other high value bikes like Focus, Canyon etc?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.