12mm QR axle/skewer?

pdid
pdid Posts: 1,065
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone make a 12mm axle/skewer? If so can you link.

I know I can get a bolt through but don`t fancy having to carry a spanner with me in case of a puncture.

I could also get a maxle kit but its £80 and a little steep for what it is in my opinion.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing out there.

and Maxle is only possible if the frame has switch able drop outs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pdid
    Thanks Nick

Is there a technical reason why manufacturers don`t make them?
  • nicklouse
    well you would lose the advantages of the 12mm axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • pdid
    Surely someone could design a 12mm QR axle that fits like a bolt through into standard 12mm dropouts and doesn`t cost silly money like the maxle.

Possible gap in the market?????
  • nicklouse
    dont think so.
    considering most bikes that need a 12mm axle come with one.
    who would buy one then they have bought a bike for some heavy duty stuff.

Considering most 12mm axled bikes are DH or FR orientated.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    So why do AM bikes from Marin and Scott possess or be able to upgrade towards them then?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    pdid wrote:
    Does anyone make a 12mm axle/skewer? If so can you link.

I know I can get a bolt through but don`t fancy having to carry a spanner with me in case of a puncture.

I could also get a maxle kit but its £80 and a little steep for what it is in my opinion.

Cheers

FWIW, a 12mm combination spanner probably weighs less than a 12mm Maxle, and if we get real about it how much hassle is using a spanner? I mean...pfft..!

AFAIK, only RockShox make a q/r 12mm axle. All the others are bolt-ups. I think that FireEye do a 10mm q/r but that's about it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • DT do a 10mm QR bolt...i know...I gots one :)

wether they do a 12mm one i'm not sure tho :(
  • pdid
    dave_hill wrote:
    FWIW, a 12mm combination spanner probably weighs less than a 12mm Maxle, and if we get real about it how much hassle is using a spanner? I mean...pfft..!

AFAIK, only RockShox make a q/r 12mm axle. All the others are bolt-ups. I think that FireEye do a 10mm q/r but that's about it.

I know it's just a convenience/ lazy thing. Ordered an axle off the bay and will carry said spanner.

Ben the DT's are 10mm only

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    Prowlus wrote:
    So why do AM bikes from Marin and Scott possess or be able to upgrade towards them then?
    not upgrade just change.

and if it was a Qr it would be a 10mm axle so a new wheel it is more of do you want a 12mm sitff rear end or do you want a Qr?

My scots swing arm was that flexy i went and got a bolt up hope hub.
  • Prowlus
    Pdid What is your bike make and year? Right now my Scott Ransom is having its rear qr unit being replaced by a 12mm maxle system via the Ransom's IDS ,and a Hope 12mm skewer conversion kit, making my bike with 20mm front and 12mm rear axles costing me a total of £349 including wheels.
  • pdid
    Prowlus wrote:
    Pdid What is your bike make and year? Right now my Scott Ransom is having its rear qr unit being replaced by a 12mm maxle system via the Ransom's IDS ,and a Hope 12mm skewer conversion kit, making my bike with 20mm front and 12mm rear axles costing me a total of £349 including wheels.

It's the meta in my sig. I got 12mm dropouts with the bike, can convert my rear hub for £20 and have bought a 12mm through bolt from eBay for £6. Would need to buy a spare 12mm mech hanger at approx £20 just for peace of mind.

Or get the maxle kit, which is £80 plus £20 hub conversion plus another £40 for the spare mech hanger/dropout as you can't buy them seperately.

Other option is run cheap upgrade now, save up for maxle, and carry spare dropouts/ hanger plus bolt.

Or find a spacer for the regular 12mm dropout. The maxle dropouts are 6mm wider. Again not ideal.

Not sure I understand the hope skewer you mentioned, if you have maxles on both ends you won't need the skewers??

Cheers
  • Prowlus
    you got the same wheels as mine . Basically, the skewer conversion kit removes the inner QR axle on the dt 5.1s with a wider spacing for 12mm thru axle

http://www.kustombikes.co.uk/view_produ ... 2&p_id=381
  • pdid
    Hub conversion kit!

£349 sound like a good price for the maxle conversion plus the wheels.
  • pdid
    3274925998_9c409d40ce_o.jpg

My £6 bolt through from ebay has arrived, don`t think it`s too bad for the price. Heavy though.

Just got to convert my pro 2 and i`m away!

Can get away with just an allan key as well
  • Prowlus
    good luck . Make sure you have the right extracting tool to remove the pro 2's internal axle
  • pdid
    Yeah they make it look so easy on the vid. Gonna have a go myself though can`t be that difficult. How much are the tools?
  • pdid
    Anyone make a lightish aluminium axle? 12mm x 135mm long
  • pdid
    Right managed to get an aluminium axle from Leisure Lakes for £9.99. The combined weight with the Pro 2 12mm axle swap is approximately the same as a QR. See pics below.

Standard XT QR:

3323126346_b1bc6ec1c9_o.jpg

Leisure Lakes 12mm Ally bolt:

3322293869_58beb041b5_o.jpg

And ebay 24seven steel bolt:

3323126272_eb8c773ca9_o.jpg

So if your after a light 12mm axle, but don`t fancy paying maxle prices, contact Leisure Lakes. It has an 8mm hex fitting for attatching/ detatching.

If anyone wants the steel bolt pm me.
  • Prowlus
    Personally I'd shell out extra for Maxle . Wheel/tyre/tube maintenance can be so much easier if it is QR thru axle
  • pdid
    Prowlus wrote:
    Personally I'd shell out extra for Maxle . Wheel/tyre/tube maintenance can be so much easier if it is QR thru axle

It's not the price of the maxle that's putting me off, it's the avaliability or lack of avaliability of spares. Replacement maxle mech hangers arn't easy to get hold of, and I'm not prepared to pay approx £35 (price direct through commencal, and quoted by a commencal dealer) for a spare one.

My Alien 2 has an 8mm hex so the bolt is not a problem.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    So guys, I want to stiffen up the rear of my Meta a little and have the 12mm conversion drop out things the bike came with? Is the choice basically a 12mm bolt thru or a Maxle? Is it really that much slower to unbolt a rear wheel than unmaxle it?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1