and another mech hanger snaps....

amt27
amt27 Posts: 320
edited February 2009 in MTB general
have just hand fun in the freezing cold on the South Downs when the mud clogged up the gears and caused the mech hanger to snap off,

luckily I now carry a spare, not fun when it happened before in similar conditions without a spare,

I don't really understand why this is happening, wasn't a problem last year on a hardtail, the bike is a Stumpjumper 08 fsr,

the mud around the mech isn't THAT bad, I assume the jockey wheels seize, the chain then pulls the mech too far back and snap,

any ideas how to stop this? its an X9 mech, could try sealed bearing jockey wheels, good idea?

Comments

• Hi Mate,

Sram jockey wheels are rubbish and is probably the cause of your hanger snapping as you described. I too have an X.9 and my local trail is very sandy, I have been through three sets of Jockey wheels in a year costing me about £60. When the jockey wheels get worn/full of crud the deraillieur pulls forward putting strain on the hanger. My derailleur is getting a bit worn now so I am thinking of buying a X.0 and these Jockey wheels
    Click Here
    I too have a Stumpjumper FSR 08, where did you buy your spare hangers from as I am having hells delights finding spare hangers for mine.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I've been running Sram X9 for 3 years with no problems at all & in some of Yorkshire's finest grinding paste! I'm no clean freak when it comes to my bikes either

Are you sure it's not a stiff chain link or anything else causing the issue?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as Andy_B says it will be some other issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • amt27
    yeh i noticed those in ebay (bit cheaper there), ideal with the holes for mud clearance, but a shame they are not compatible with x9, it that a width problem?

not that impressed with SRAM, first time using it, good shifting but the quality is poor and parts/replacing is pricey, already snapped a shifter and when a previous hanger broke also broke the mech bolt,

i get them from my local Spec dealer which is also my LBS and where I bought the bike, they have stock or sometimes stock is on it way,
  • amt27
    Andy_B wrote:
    Are you sure it's not a stiff chain link or anything else causing the issue?

pretty sure its not a stiff link, i remove the chain for most cleans and clean the bike between every ride, lube the chain before rides,

i just don't see another reason for what happens,
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You can still get stiff links with a lovely clean chain.

It's worth checking all of your drivetrain, as you said in your 1st post, you're assuming it's the jockey wheels.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg