Specialized roubaix - Which one?

RichTL
RichTL Posts: 133
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Work has just started the bike to work scheme :D
So Im thinking of getting a spec Roubaix, but not sure of which one to go for.
Is it best to go for an elite and then upgrade at some time in future or go for the comp or expert - not sure if the difference in spec/price are good value. would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    Just to make sure that you know the scheme only covers £1k of the cost. You'd have to fork out the for the rest.

As ever, take one out for a test ride to see what you prefer. Not sure how you narrowed it down to these, but there's so many bikes out there you should really ride a few to see how they feel.

I had my heart set on a Roubaix, then found that the Trek was the one for me. Might not be the same for you, but it's a lot of money, and a lot of potentially uncomfortable, niggly miles ahead if you rush into it.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • RichTL
    RichTL Posts: 133
    Thanks for your thoughts PB.
    Work have a consumer credit licence so the sky's the limit, only common sense making me limit my spend. Have a spech Allez at the moment quite like it but thought it was time to upgrade, having read up on a number of reviews etc I decided for the roubaix as it seems a good bike for longish day rides which is what Im primarily interested in. The 'relaxed' geometery is an attraction as Im a not so fit old giffer.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the roubaix is a great bike and will make a great upgrade from the allez - similar fit but slightly taller at the front end for comfort and slightly longer wheelbase for a bit more stability.

I'd probably go for the one with full 105 - expert is it? - as this groupset is good middle of the road equipment - the ones above this get better wheels but only if you want 'better' roval wheels - I think the 105 group model and then upgrade the wheels yourself later would make a better bike.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Just buy the most expensive one you're willing to stretch to :p I just went with an Elite in the end as I wasn't sure I'd stick with road riding but if I were buying again now I'd go for a higher end model. The wheels are probably the most compromised area on the cheaper models but even on they Elite they're fine for training/winter and I'll get something decent when the sun comes out.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Rich

Apart from the specs you need to know that the frames are not all the same. The Expert is a much better solid frame than the Elite and the S-Works is better than the Expert. Have a look at them in the shop and maybe test ride them. Specs can be upgraded no problem, but frames can't. Also as Nferrar mentions wheels are also an aspect to consider

I have an Roubaix Expert 2008 and am very happy with it, however the 2009 frame is a lot better as they have stiffened the latteral aspect of the bike, without loosing comfort

The Roubaix is a great bike for long rides and even 7-8 hours wont leave you in pain the next day. One thing though...I dont find it to be the best bike on descends. I would even stick my neck out and say that the Allez is better in that aspect ( However as I said before I have the 2008 model and things have improved on the 2009 )
    exercise.png
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What`s wrong with it on descents?I find it great descending and climbing.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Casbar
    Mine is quite twitchy and I have had a massive " wobble " just the once. Just not as smooth as other bikes I have riden. But I agree that its a great climber
    exercise.png
  • antfly
    Never had the slightest twitch on mine descending in the 40`s mph it`s as smooth as silk.
    How do you know the 2009 frame is a lot better, by the way?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When I pointed it down the Ventoux, my Roubaix Expert fishtailed like a salmon going up the ladder at Pitlochry.

However, this turned out to be a p£$%&ture! :oops:

Otherwise, I have had nothing but fun and more fun on it. Great for long day rides and two-hour blasts alike. I just wish the weather would improve so I can get back on it.

Mine (2006) also came with a mix of Ultegra/Dura Ace but I guess they fiddle with the componentry every year.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Casbar wrote:
    Mine is quite twitchy and I have had a massive " wobble " just the once. Just not as smooth as other bikes I have riden. But I agree that its a great climber

the irony here being that the longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry should make it MORE stable than the allez!

are you sure you weren't just going too fast?
  • Casbar
    I agree with all the above, and it can be that mine is just a duff frame, but as i have no other problems with it but the descending ( and that could be partly my technique ) I haven't investigated it further. Maybe I should have one of you guys test ride it to find out if my frame has a fault or I'm just a s h i t descender :lol:

Antfly...My friend has just bought the 2009 frame and I have had it for a few rides...it just feels a like a better ride.

BTW what is too fast ?
    exercise.png
  • antfly
    There could be other reasons it feels better other than the frame,maybe he has better tyres or your wheels are duff or something.
  • Casbar
    Specs exatly the same...duff wheels is obvioulsy a possibility. As no one else seems to be having this problem I will have it checked out now...

Thanks

Btw my max speed is 60km/h on a straight downhill...so I dont think think speed is the problem
    exercise.png
  • Casbar wrote:

I also have the expert. Superb bike, comfy as a comfy thing (tho' I changed the tyres pretty darn sharp after lots of visits from the "p" fairy), but alas and alack, I had a huge frame wobble coming off Holme Moss last year. However, its the only one I've ever had. Great bike!
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • Casbar
    Casbar wrote:

I also have the expert. Superb bike, comfy as a comfy thing (tho' I changed the tyres pretty darn sharp after lots of visits from the "p" fairy), but alas and alack, I had a huge frame wobble coming off Holme Moss last year. However, its the only one I've ever had. Great bike!

Same here I only had it once ( the wobble ) but didn't half frighten me...may thats why I'm a bit anxious about the descend qualities . Once you can't trust your bike 100% its easy to imagine things

Well thank god , it wasn't all in my head and someone else has experienced it as well. BTW i was only doing about 40km/h when i got it

But as before I agree..Great bike
    exercise.png
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    If you think you'll upgrade in the future, it will make more sense financially to buy a higher spec one now. Get the S Works, you know you want to..
  • Casbar wrote:

Me too.

Massive wobble downhill at 38mph resulting in me hitting the deck. £1150 repair estimate. Ouch.

Only happened once, otherwise a superb ride. Did 7 days in Pyrenees - lots of ups and downs with not a hint of trouble.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • antfly
    What`s with all these once in a lifetime wobbles,it`s not even fast enough to be speed wobbles.Never had the slightest wobble myself.It`s very odd. :shock:
  • Damned if I know.

Never happened before (in over 30 years of cycling) and I hope it never happens again.

Did some research afterwards to learn that wheel wobble can 'just happen'.

Very odd indeed.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I too have been looking at these bikes with interest as they are stocked by my LBS who offer me 10% off due to my job. And I'm seriously considering buying one to replace my Halfords Carrera Virtuoso ahead of the Sportive season!!

It would appear that the only difference between the two are the wheels, the saddle and the seatpost. The £1370 Elite has Mavix CXP22 rims (about £20 each if not less?) and Spesh hubs (value ? but can't be much!) along with a BG Avatar saddle (£40). The £1660 Comp has Shimano RS-10 rims and hubs (about £65 each?) and a BG Toupe Gel saddle (£80). I can't find prices for the seatposts but one has a Pave II and the other a SL pro. From what I can see, the remainder of the bikes are identical. This being the case, I'm either missing something obvious or Specialized are overvaluing Shimano RS-10 wheels, their own saddle and a carbon seatpost a little bit.

Apart from what we've already established in this thread; that the Roubaix is better than the Allez, that it can wobble a bit going downhill (but only once) and that the £2200 Expert is much better altogether, it would appear there is very little difference in the Comp and Elite other than that mentioned above. IMO, I'm probably going to opt for the Elite. The extra £290 would be better spent on new wheels to replace the Mavic rims and Spesh hubs on the Elite. Or maybe I'll convince the wife that I've actually 'saved' £290 by getting the Elite and use it for a Garmin 705. If I can ever establish whether or not it'll be any use in N Ireland when I move there later this year!
  • antfly
    See if you can get the 2008 expert for a lot less money than he 2009 one,if there are any left.