Pressures

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Hi

I've got some Panaracer Cinder 2.1 tyres, and usually I run them at 50psi. Does anyone no their best pressure to run at to get the best balance between grip and not getting punctures/piercing sidewalls?

Cheers

Comments

• depends what your riding, looking at your bike im guessing aggressive xc/AM?for that sort of thing youre not gonna get excessive amounts of punctures are 45-55 psi, i run kenda nevegals at 65, after you get used to them, you notice how much faster you go. my advice would be to take a week trying different tyre pressures, 40, then 45 then 50 then 55 then 60 and then 65 and see which you like best, try not to just go for the one your most familiar with.
  • one word - TUBELESS
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited February 2009
    cullen_bay wrote:
    depends what your riding, looking at your bike im guessing aggressive xc/AM?for that sort of thing youre not gonna get excessive amounts of punctures are 45-55 psi, i run kenda nevegals at 65, after you get used to them, you notice how much faster you go. my advice would be to take a week trying different tyre pressures, 40, then 45 then 50 then 55 then 60 and then 65 and see which you like best, try not to just go for the one your most familiar with.

Heh, I run my nevegals at 65 for the road, but off road I run em at 35 for technical or 40-45 for distance... True, I weigh about as much as some cheap full sussers but still, 65 is pretty damn high.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Whhhhhhhaaaat? 65psi? Are you bonkers? That's nigh on twice what I run...
    Granted, full sus. And I'm not heavy.
    As Cullen said, experiment. No one can tell you how a bike should feel, depends what you want the beast to be doing between your legs. But 40 is my avg max
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I run my 2.1 Trailraker at max 26 psi, can't remember ever running more than 28 psi in a tyre.

In my 2.35 tyres I would normally be at 22-24 psi.

In 25 years of riding MTB's I've only had one pinch puncture.

Off road, high pressure does not make the bike roll faster in fact the opposite.

Try pushing a barrow full of concrete over rough ground with a solid rubber tyre then with an inflatable. I can tell you from experience which one I'd push.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what the offroad actually is.

As has been stated, experiment. I usually run 35-40 psi at 12 stone in my 2.00 tubless tyres for XC.
  • I personally would not run 65psi when going off road, the ride would be hard.

The higher the pressure the less contact with the ground the tyre has .
    Less pressure means the tyre can compress in the middle allowing the outer knobs to claw at the ground giving more grip.

I run between 30-40 psi im about 12 stone
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    35-40 psi is a good starting point but the tyre makes a difference. The 2.1 Nobby Nics and Racing Ralph I used last year would be pinch-flatting all over the place at 35 psi, they needed more like 45 to keep them sweet. The Medusas on my other bike are far more tolerant (stiffer sidewalls).
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Had a bit of a delve and found that Christoph Sauser runs 29 psi in his 1.8's.

Hutchinson recommends under 60kg 29-32, up to 75kg 35-38, over 80kg 41-43 psi.

They don't say what tyre sizes and knowing tyre manufacturers these figures are on the conservative side.

Some downhillers seem to be running sub 20 psi in competitions but that's with big fat heavy duty tyres and tubes.

Recently I road around Edale for 6 days, on one of them I was at 18 psi in the back with a single ply 2.35 minion and 16 psi in a single ply 2.35 highroller, the rocks were pretty wet that day. I weigh around 10 1/2 stone with all my gear and backpack on.

In the mid 80's when I was riding with around 20psi in my Spesh Ground Controls friends of mine were using 650B rims with Nokian Hakkapelliitta tyres and tubes, they would in very muddy conditions ride these so flat that the rims were nearly down in the tread.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"