Which Trail Centre

tom_majski
tom_majski Posts: 432
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Alright chaps. I've booked next wednesday off work and am looking to go for a decent XC ride (trailcentre stuff)

Constraints have to be roughly <2hrs from Shrewsbury and <30km ride length. The obvious ones are Llandegla, Coed Y Brenin and Cannock. Now i've ridden cannock countless times and don't want to take a day's leave for it. Llandegla - ditto. Coed Y Brenin is awesome but i don't fancy riding Tarw in the wet (as its bound to be) and i'm off to do Dragon's Back in 2 weeks anyway with some buddies.

I really fancy Afan (though i'm there on the 4um ride) but its too far away, Ditto with Grizedale. Can anyone else think of a decent trail that i could go have a bash at?

Help appriciated.

Comments

• Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Penmachno!!!
  • The Long Mynd., but you'll need to be able to read a map :D
    Frank Yates
  • Stu 74 wrote:
    Penmachno!!!

ah good call actually, i've ridden penmachno its pretty demanding though! beautiful place. I'll have to try convince the mrs, she hated it last time but she was on her DH bike though :P
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    personally i would avoid llandegla.

cyb is excellent.
    panmach and the marin trail,

or cli-mach ,, mach 1,2,3
    are just a few in the area...
  • I thought Marin Trail was fantastic, did it last week and just flowed really well, preferred it to Penmachno but only did loop 1 there.

Did Tawr @ Coed Y Brenin and it just didn't flow 4 me being too techy 4 my ability and my hardtail :(
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • scotland
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bloody trail centres lol, ruining the essence of the sport!

Well, not really, but natural stuff rocks.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    and I say Cwmcarn is hard to beat, quite rideable in the wet.

I don't go to too many other trail centres though :roll:
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Afan's worth the extra drive. 5 excellent trails (although 2 are way over your 30km limit).

But TBH the very best riding in Wales at the moment (in my opinion anyway) is Brecfa Red (not great, but not bad in the wet) and the XC at Cwmcarn (wet or dry rides the same) I've been out of the game for nearly a month with a bad chest infection, but last time I was at Cwmcarn there was a few sections with diversions (but not the very best bits) the Freeride was closed, but they've put some really cool new bits in and I'm told the freeride is going to be much better when it's finished.
  • I live 10 mins from Coed Y Brenin and love it to bits. There most weekends. Which means I'm also close to Llandegla, Marin, Penmachno etc.

The one trail that me and my riding buddies keep going back to, and I can't believe more people don't rate/ ride is the Climachx.

The last descent is about 2k long and is probably the best I have been on (apart from Kirroughtree)

It is well worth a go and the whole trail is only 15k so you could go up the coast to CYB and do the Temptiwr to finish the day off.

Ideal 8)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,985
    Llandegla in the morning, lunch in Bala followed by CYB in the afternoon. That way the wife feels like she has had a treat!

I prefer doing the Tawn on the hardtail - feels more alive!

Failing that a trip to the Peaks?
  • matthew h wrote:
    Llandegla in the morning, lunch in Bala followed by CYB in the afternoon. That way the wife feels like she has had a treat!

I prefer doing the Tawn on the hardtail - feels more alive!

Failing that a trip to the Peaks?

What's the Tawn?
  • a thawsand kilograwms
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    As said above,Cwmcarn is well worth a visit !! It's my local XC loop and I never get bored of it,drains well too so the weather wont spoil your fun :)
  • loddrik
    loddrik Posts: 129
    Surprised noone has suggested Nant Y Arian