Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Shimano Deore Cassette

hitchen92hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
What are they like? I can't afford expensive cassettes anymore, and fed up of wasting money on drivetrain that just wears out.

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    they work. if you have an alloy cassette carrier then not recommended.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Heavy, maybe a little longer lasting than XT.

I think the XT is worth 20 quid more.
  • They seem alright for the money, I got one for when I upgrade my bike to 9 speed. They can be had for £20 or mabe less on ebay, so definitly cheaper than most others. All you're really paying for with the XT/XTR is less weight, perhaps a tiny bit more smoothness and a little more durability. It's up to you to decide whether that's worth it.
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • dav1dav1 Posts: 1,298
    My deore cassette is heavy, but shifts smoothly and clears the censored when the mud and ice gets in OK
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dave_hilldave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I find that they wear a lot faster than an XT.

£23 for a Deore two or three times a year or £40 for an XT once a year? Hmmm.

That said I do use Hope Pro II hubs, so I have to have a carrier-type cassette anyway, but even so...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • At the moment I'm using a Sram PG990 cassette, but only bought the Deore as a spare, and also got it cheap before the price increases effect the mail-order websites. My rear hub is a Hope bulb, so I'm not sure what the cassette carrier is made of, and ideas?

Cheers