Problem with rear wheel...caution rant

Monty Dog
Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Err - you may have caused the buckle by over-zealous application of the spoke key - I've known people to do this and try and blame it on their LBS.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Err - you may have caused the buckle by over-zealous application of the spoke key - I've known people to do this and try and blame it on their LBS.

+1 Sorry about your run of bad luck. Wheels going "bad" happens to everyone who rides. Most of the time there is no rhyme or reason, just a broken or loose spoke or two.
    Best way to avoid this is to have a backup set ready to roll. Lots of guys have a training
    set and a race set. While one is being fixed you can use the other. Problem solved.
    Also, not meaning to lecture you, but if you don't know what you're doing, do not try to true a wheel or just tighten spokes until they are "tight". Many of today's low spoke count wheels and most 32 spokers don't work well for long with people putting a wrench on them and not really knowing what to do.

Dennis Noward
  • I've got a SCR 1.5 with Alex DA22 back wheel....I have broken 4 spokes in recent weeks....Each time it has been fixed by the LBS....I could buy a new wheel with the cost of another couple of visits!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!