First ride of the year

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Finally managed to get out on my bike, and had great fun :)

Did a short ride round Friston Forest, in light snow, and got back to the car just before the snow really started to come down.

This was the first ride with my new bits (stem, bars, wheels, rear mech, shifters and gore cables, and they all performed great - very happy :)

DSCN0472.jpg

DSCN0473.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

The best news is the ride didnt agitate the osteoarthritis in my neck, in fact the excersise seems to have helped it so even more happy!

Comments

• so is this a ride report or just some pics of your bike leaning agasinst a tree?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    so is this a ride report or just some pics of your bike leaning agasinst a tree?
    There's a difference?

I've been doing my rides wrong!
  • Glad to see you out and about, and that it's not bothered your neck.

....I didn't realise you actually took your bike outside and got it muddy, I thought you just kept it in the house to look at all your new bling! :wink:

How did you find the pedals and Nike Air Morgans?
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Nice, had a couple of hours out myself today as well :) Discovered a random woods about 45 minutes from my house I've never noticed before, 30 min spin around it and back home again. It snowed for about half the time I was out, really bitter, need to get out a bit over the weekend though or I go stir crazy :) It would have been a trail center but our car is coughing black soot out the back, it literally leaves marks on the road :?

Here's my bike not leaning on a tree, the frame is so light it hovers like that, I need those heavy M520 pedals to weight it down.

3244681958_44cf980285.jpg

I promise I'll stop posting pics of that bike soon :( It's lovely though.
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Me and a mate did the Skyline at Afan today, it was bloddy freezing! I had ice forming on my down tube and shoe's :o

Its the first time I've done the whole route, got round in 4 hours :D Now im knackerd. Bath, food and bed I think :)

Matt
  • gcwebbyuk
    Yep bike and me - and the wife - got very muddy - but its my job to clean the bikes tomorrow as I have a day off work.

My bike isn't leaning against the tree, it is hovering too - its just there were too many tress around to get it hovering in the middle of the trail away from trees - honest!

Is that a Carbon Zaskar? Does look nice!

The pedals and the Morgans were very good - managed a few fairly steep sections, that would have probably been easier with spds, but managed them just about!

Was the first time "er indoors" has ridden on anything other than Sustrans trails (concrete etc) and she coped quite well in the mud - even though she did ride the short downhill section at roughly 5mph (my gps showed me doing it at 27 :) ).
  • toasty
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Is that a Carbon Zaskar? Does look nice!

Yup, I was originally looking for another newer Stumpjumper frame much like yours to be honest*, I spotted Wiggle had the Zaskar on offer though so took a bit of a leap of faith.

*my 2003 Stumpy has been relegated to a singlespeed next year.
  • Nice bikes chaps, and that's during a ride still far too clean. This is mine after a ride and after I have cleaned it, well the important bits anyway. I seem to be getting my rides in after I leave work so its dark and interesting singletrack riding. Giant.jpg
    [/img]
  • toasty
    It didn't seem too muddy today around my way, the icy weather had hardened the ground up a bit.

I envy your tidy hanging spot, our shed is tiny so they end up in the house, I'd never get away with having wheels that muddy :)
  • i have been out today around the irwell river to test out my new (to me) spd's and shoes 8) cheers graham :D nearly had a moment when i stopped to talk to my mate :lol:

it was cold but not to bad, i have been out in worse.

mybike108.jpg

i am totally sold on spd's 8)

it was pretty muddy today
    mybike110.jpg[/img]

glad to see your neck isnt affecting your riding tho 8)
  • gcwebbyuk
    Glad you are getting on well with the SPDs 8)
  • Your bike looks great Webby.
    I went out over Rivington moor with a couple of mates today and got mine a bit muddy. If you look closely you can see your old wheels :D
    CubeRivi800x600.jpg

Snow didn't half start coming down at one point. Great fun. Looking forward to next weekend already.
  • gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Finally managed to get out on my bike, and had great fun :)

Did a short ride round Friston Forest, in light snow, and got back to the car just before the snow really started to come down.

This was the first ride with my new bits (stem, bars, wheels, rear mech, shifters and gore cables, and they all performed great - very happy :)

The best news is the ride didnt agitate the osteoarthritis in my neck, in fact the excersise seems to have helped it so even more happy!

First ride of the year and you stopped when it snowed, it's February !
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Toasty wrote:
    I envy your tidy hanging spot, our shed is tiny so they end up in the house, I'd never get away with having wheels that muddy :)

I guess I am a bit lucky but it does have its drawbacks. When you hang it all covered in mud (dont get the wrong impression Iam talking about my bike) when the mud dries you only have to touch the bike and it drops off all over the place. So it's hoover time. Just about got enough room to do repairs as well. My tools reside in there too, but they are mainly for my powered two wheelers. :D
  • gcwebbyuk
    seataltea wrote:
    First ride of the year and you stopped when it snowed, it's February !

Haha was the first ride of the year due to injury not weather!

Also we didn't stop due to the snow, it was a round trip, and we got back to the car just before the snow REALLY started coming down :lol:
  • gcwebbyuk
    Mjolnir wrote:
    If you look closely you can see your old wheels :D

Looking good! Those are actually my wife's old wheels, she has my old ones :)

There would have been some photos of her bike up as well, but just as we were taking pics in the car park a woman in a huge 4x4 decided she wanted to park right where we were stood, so we loaded the bikes in the car and drove off to the pub.

Will post some pics of her bike up tomorrow when I have cleaned it, and also some more of my bike when I fit the new XTR crankset and front mech that is arriving tomorrow 8)
  • gcwebbyuk
    Second ride of the year.... Same place as a fortnight ago,but this time no snow, but more bog!

Very glad we both have disc brakes, as if we were running rim brakes we would have had mud the size of tennis balls round the calipers!

Great fun climbing a hill with the rear wheel sliding sideways and spinning up even with weight over it - thats with Bonty Mud-X tyres too!

Coming down the hills the other side with the both wheels sliding around was highly entertainging too!

I even managed to persuade my wife to ease off the brakes going down a dry downhill, although it did mean her screaming the whole way down! :twisted:

Made a short detour down to the sea for some sarnies and some photos...

DSCN0478.jpg

Finally tried out my new XTR crankset
    DSCN0479.jpg

Wife's Giant Arete 2
    DSCN0480.jpg

p.s. the photos were taken after a ride along concrete down to the sea, so a lot of the mud had fallen off by then - only to be picked back up again on the ride to the car :) glad we brought some sheeting to protect the car oops

We only actually cycled 10 miles, but were more worn out than a 36 miler due to the amount of mud and tyres spinning!
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Have you got a GPS on that bike?

I would post pics of my first ride this year but I don't know how and I don't think anyone wants to see pics of me falling on my ass because of the ice...
    Not really active