Rubbing discs?

The_Hoff
The_Hoff Posts: 16
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I had some 203mm hydraulic disc brakes fitted to my bike today at a bike shop but the discs are rubbing on the pads constantly. I don't know much about them as they are my first disc brakes. The man in the bike shop said that its normal for them to rub. That doesn't seem right to me and i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If they're only rubbing lightly & not impeding the wheel's rotation then they're fine & will just need bedding in

However if they do impede the wheel's rotation significantly some tweaking may be required.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Thanks
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    If they're rubbing all the time, your calipers may need re-aligning on the disks.
  • Mine do it sometimes as if the disc is buckled but i just let it get on with it. It annoys me but its just where the pads run so close to the disc.
    - 2006 Orange MsIsle -
    - "Old bikers dont die, we juet get tired" -
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    No they shouldn't rub, i suggest you take it back for them to readjust the calipers.

If it rubs constant then the caliper needs readjusting, if it rubs for only a small amount of the rotation then the disk needs to be trued.

The only time in my experience where it isn't actually possible to have no pad contact is on one £80 bike, the only way would of been to purchase a new break set or new forks.
  • Are these Avid Juicy's by any chance? Mine on my FSR XC are a pain for rubbing unless you spend ages setting the alignment up. I think Juicy's (the cheapy ones anyway) have a reputation for dragging.
  • not just the cheap ones they all rub my 5's rub and 2 of my mates 7's are also rubbing, i bled mine twice and cleaned the pistons and they still rub
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • Could it just be beacuse the pads haven't worn down yet?
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    If they rub constantly then as already mentioned u need to re allign the caliper. They shouldn't rub even with new pads in them.

Undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the mount (not the bolts that hold the caliper to the fork) then push the pistons back in all the way with a flat head screwdriver.

Spin the wheel and pump the brake in till it stops. Important bit, keep hold of the brake and then re tighten the bolts. Caliper will then be centred

If they still rub after that then there is another issue, like a bent rotor